Bios 701

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by CF77, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

The "[BIOS] EP121AS 501 [Modding Thread]" thread?

2. NePheus

NePheus Pen Pal - Newbie

I flashed 2x Ep121 up to now. One from 501 to 701, another from 601 to 701. In both cases I connected an USB stick with the new BIOS version on it, and an USB keyboard to the device, restartet it and entered BIOS. There you can find a utility to flash a new BIOS file. Both devices are flashed successfully, running Windows 8! :)

3. fleon

fleon Pen Pal - Newbie

Yup, totally bricked mine. Did the flash from the BIOS and now totally useless slate.

4. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

How does F1 work for you so far?

5. tannerwooden

tannerwooden Pen Pal - Newbie

I flashed CF77's modded 701 BIOS using the winflash utility from ASUS and it worked perfectly. Thanks a ton CF77!

BTW, if anyone is getting this message "Sorry, this program only supports ASUS notebooks," there are two things you need to download first, both from ASUS EP121 download page.

1. ATK WMIACPI Driver
    2. Asus APRP Utility

After I installed those, WINFLASH worked perfectly.

6. DrMacabre

DrMacabre Pen Pal - Newbie

flashed with winflash on windows 8 RTM, rebooted as instructed here and on Asus site. Working fine but no g-sensor.

7. tannerwooden

tannerwooden Pen Pal - Newbie

8. DrMacabre

DrMacabre Pen Pal - Newbie

i've read your post somewhere else and downloaded, still not rotating.

9. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

Windows 7 Activation problem with BIOS 701

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium that shipped with the EP121. A few weeks ago I installed BIOS 701, which seemed to work normally. I have just returned from a 2 week vacation away from my computers. Now my EP121 says my copy of Windows is not genuine, and that I must activate it today (error code 0xC004F057). But the Windows installation was OEM so there is no product key to activate it with. I can't find any way to activate Windows by phone, which would allow me to explain to an operative what the problem is and ask for help.

Having searched the iNet in vain for a solution, I conclude that the Windows installation is OEM and using a SLIC table in the BIOS. I expect the SLIC table in BIOS 701 is for Windows 8, and has broken my Windows 7 activation. I have put the BIOS back to 603 and reset the EP121, but Windows is still not activated.

I guess I could reinstall Windows 7 using the recovery DVDs, but that would break all my installed software, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Does anyone know how to (re)activate OEM Windows 7?

Can anyone give me the toll-free phone number for Windows 7 activation in the UK?

<edit> Resolved
    Thanks to galen ubal who pointed out that the COA is on the base of the keyboard. The product activation key worked (of course) and Windows activated on-line. I have now used Advanced Tokens Manager to backup my windows activation data.

Before reactivating Windows I restored BIOS 701, and I suspect this was never anything to do with BIOS 701. Sorry if this was off-topic.

<Update> 15AUG12
    24 hours later I did a Windows Update. When the EP121 restarted Windows said it was not activated again. I used Advanced Tokens Manager to restore my Activation data. Although ATM appeared to hang up, when I rebooted the Windows status was activated again. I hope the activation isn't going to fail every day now :(

<Update> 16AUG12
    Another day later and today Windows activation is OK.

I have been emailing ASUS technical support about this issue. I asked them whether there could be a problem using Windows 7 with the SLIC table in BIOS 701. I got the following response...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I highly doubted it was the 701....I'm on modded 701 for month and has no issue.

Your window files may have been corrupted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.