1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

BIG PROBLEM: Tablet PC Input Panel Won't Start

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Oracle, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Oracle

Oracle CompSci Robotics Graduate

HELP!

For some reason I can't get the input panel to open any more.

Last week was my universities reading week so I had no lectures, therefore my M7 with vista business didn't get much usage as a tablet. When trying to write something in my first lecture today I noticed that the input panel was missing from the left hand side where it usually pops out.

To get to the point:
    The input panel is missing from the side.
    Turning on the toolbar input panel and clicking the button does nothing.
    The little button no longer appears near text fields.

It always used to work perfectly but sometime last week it went wrong. Restarting has no effect, system restore didn't work, removing the 'tablet PC optional components' from the 'turn windows features on and off' setting has not worked.

A few interesting things to note:
    In the 'view basic information about your computer' screen I can no longer see the bit that says tablet functionality available or something like that.
    In the tablet pc settings program in the control panel. It says in the handwriting tab that 'automatic learning is only available on a tablet pc'

Has my M7 stop being recognised by vista as a tablet?

Somebody please help!

Many thanks
  2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it"

Hi Oracle,

Can you go to Start -> Run -> Type in: services.msc and see if the "Tablet PC Input Service" has stopped running? If it states it is "Started" or "Running"; I'd recommend you double click it, then click the "Restart" button when the dialog pops up. Also make sure that the drop down menu has "Automatic" selected.

Also, the other two services that are required for the Tablet Input Panel (TIP) to function correctly are: SL UI Notification Service and Software Licensing. See if they are set to Manual & Started, and Automatic & Started, respectively. :)
  3. Oracle

Oracle CompSci Robotics Graduate

Thank you, Thank You, Thank You!

The 'Tablet PC Input Service' was set to manual and was currently off.

Now how on earth did that setting get changed? Did vista think that since I hadn't used it for a week that I was not using it at all and turn it off to save startup time?

Very strange. Will check the services first thing if it goes wrong again.

Thanks again.
  4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it"

No problem, Oracle, glad I could help. :)

It is indeed odd that Vista somehow disabled the Tablet PC Input Service, perhaps something happened along the way when a patch was applied or something from Windows Vista. Nevertheless, if your TIP does suddenly disappear again, you now know the way to re-enable it. :)
  5. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member

Good call there SimsHsia... Good call indeed.[​IMG]
  6. Duncan

Duncan Pen Pal - Newbie

My Wacom Cintiq 21UX has been acting up similarly, except the services.msc fix didn't work. I still can't write anything, or use pens in OneNote. Help!
  7. Triple_Dude

Triple_Dude Aspiring Artist

It's a known issue that the Wacom drivers will sometimes corrupt itself. Uninstall it and re-install it as a first step to troubleshoot the problem.
  8. aeres

aeres Digital Artist

i have the same problem but with a m200 toshiba portege with XP service pack 3 that was just repaired...dont want to system restore and reinstall my art programs...can someone help?
  9. bodyspirit

bodyspirit Pen Pal - Newbie

First Submission!
    TIP NOT WORK, EVEN AFTER SERVICES CORRECTED. JOURNAL GONE.
    My TIP will not revive
    1) even after updating the harmful changes Vista made in Services
    2) even now that Task window reports TIP status as "running'.
    So, there are further difficulties, kind people, to be solved in my case.

3. Moreover, my Windows Journal is nowhere to be found -- even after a search.
    Yet my electronic pen works in OneNote.
    4. Need I do some downloading? And re-installing? Of WJ? Did vicious Vista KO that too? Where is the download? This softw is free?

5. BUT I want the TIP back most, which is useable in conjunction with even Word & other apps, yes?
    6. Others -- even an India co -- are coming out with Tablets, even in NetBook form, if my google updates on Android are correct; but MS seems so far ahead in HWR multitude of features, it must show its advantages, not blow its lead by its typical "bugs after bugs" software.
    And maybe MS should fuse its advanced HWR into its cell phones, all its apps, with Voice Recog, etc.
    Many thanks, kind people,
    Joe
  10. ratchet

ratchet Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you very very much it works at last but, it doesn't expect the words I write, I can't live without word expectation artificial Intelligence and correcting spelling service in Tablet PC input panel, and I hope there'll be word expectation and correcting for other languages not only English