BIG FAT WARNING - One of today's Updates requires Office to be Uninstalled First

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jnjroach, Dec 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Big Fat Warning - From Gabe Aul - Director of Windows 10 Insider Program in a series of Tweets this morning:

Hey #WindowsInsiders, we just made a tough call after working through the night that I thought I should share with you.

We have a security update going out today, and the installer fails on 9879 if Office is installed.

Rather than rolling a new fix (losing several days in the process) we’re going to publish it as is.

The workaround is painful: uninstall Office, install the hotfix, reinstall Office. Sorry. We’re working hard to fix

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

He posted later on that users should attempt to install the update first, then only if it fails do the uninstall Office thing.

Updated fine for me with Office installed.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I was on my way to post that....I did the uninstall, I will say Office is running better after a fresh install though :)

4. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Welcome. But please post in the appropriate thread, rather than off-topic in old threads (which can cause readers to open threads they otherwise wouldn't have gone to).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.