Bezel touch causes windows to close frequently!

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by chapmattman, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chapmattman

chapmattman Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys-
    After a few months with the 121 I have noticed a pretty serious design flaw. I wonder if anyone else has had a problem with it.

Because the bezel is touch sensetive, I have noticed that often when I grab the tablet from the right had side all my windows close nearly instantly.

I look up in the right corner and there is a dot indicating some kind of touch pressure right there, where the close window X is.

It is very annoying.

I was wondering...

Has anyone else had this problem?

If they have, do we think it is based on bezel sensetivity, or is it because the pen is stored in that corner and is somehow getting read by the display?

Can we turn off bezel sensetivity? It isn't necessary in Windows 7.

Thanks everyone
    Chap

2. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

I had this issue (as many other members).

We dont really know what exactly tirggers it.

I had to RMA my unit because of this and other issue.

Search a thread in this forum called: "touchscreen clicking by itself"

3. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Calibrate your touch..a bit closer to right of the cross on your side to compensate.

4. kamikaze458

IMHO i dont believe that adjusting the touch will solve the issue. The random clicks will be bothering too even if they dont close the windows with the X button!

5. chapmattman

CF77-
    The thing is though, I am not even touching the tablet at the time this happens. It only happens when pressure is applied to the right hand side of the tablet, for instance if I pick it up by the upper right hand corner. I think it is because the back of the tablet is made of plastic that something presses down in there that the glass recognizes as touch.

This is really, really annoying. It closes automatically when I am reading something in bed. To compensate, I thought I would be clever and invert the tablet then lock the screen orientation. When it is upside down it simply opened the Windows start menu repeatedly, sometimes then even right clicking itself in the corner.

So CF, if you are suggesting I calibrate touch (which i have tried doing), you think I should calibrate it to the RIGHT of the orientations? Won't this also make every actual click inaccurate.

Kamikazee-
    How long did the RMF take? I would be interested, but I live in Amsterdam and bought this tablet in the states....

Chap

6. chapmattman

ps i tried searching "touchscreen clicking by itself" but found no results...

7. chapmattman

hmmmmmmmmmm. I hate to jinx it, but maybe i solved it a bit. I changed the options on the TIP, which i used to keep in the upper right hand corner. Now preliminary non-scientific tests of gripping the tablet in the way that used to make it close windows has ceased. Momentarily, at least. Will keep u informed.

8. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

So ..if I understand correctly...

the screen click by itself with touching just outside the black bazel ? otherwise..there is click at all?

let's say if you you place your index finger on the aluminum edge and start moving into inside bazel.. how far before you see the pointer. This should be true all along right side of the screen. I presume you are using landscape mode. rotate 180 and do you have the same problem?
    if so ..calibration would help..I think a bit to left for the right side. you need to do it couple of times..I have mine calibrated to about 2mm from inside screen edge when pointer shows.

if it is only at the corner..try remove your pen from silo and try again..

9. kamikaze458

chapp:

-Here is the thread: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/40120-touchscreen-clicking-itself.html (it's veeeeery very long).
    (the search function of the forum doesnt work, you should use google to search in the forum -in case you need to search another thing-).

-I bought my EP in the states too, and i live in Argentina. The whole procces (sending it, giving me a new unit, and returning it to my country) took aprox 1 month. Yeah... i know... pain in the ass. But it works fine know. It was worth it. The problem was extremely annoying and it appeared in a very randomly.

10. chapmattman

hi everyone-
    sorry for the wait while i tested this out. i ruptured my achilies tendon, so it has been a while since posting, but i will certainly need this tablet as i am bedridden for a bit!

@CF, the problem was that when i would squeez theright side of the tablet, sometimes just holding it there, the windows would all close one at a time as though constant clicking was happening on the upper right hand corner. i coule successfully reproduce this behaivior nearly 80% of the time on purpose, and 100% of the time i didn't want to, when reading in bed, etc.

i am very happy to report that by moving the TIP to the left handsideof the screen it NO LONGER OCCURS.

i will post it in the other thread too, hopefully for everyone else it is the same problem, and an easy fix.

best,
    chap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.