Bezel Problem Fixed? Is this true?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by JaneL, Nov 27, 2007.

1. coojak

coojak Pen Pal - Newbie

This is really unbearable, at least for now.

I work in the high volume display industry, and one of the main reasons that this particular anti-glare was a no go for us is b/c that we get numerous complains from users about the speckle noise annoyance and resulting headache during the testing period. As a result, we made a decision to go with AR-coat inside and clear finish on outside.

Right now this tablet is absolutely no use for me. I am getting complaints from customers whenever I try to show them anything on this tablet PC. At the same time, I am getting headaches from it every time I use. I am not sure if it's worth to adapt to it, I might just return it...

I wonder how Lenovo made such a "innovative" move to go with this annoying technology given that majority of its customer base are business users...I have used T30, T41, and X60 and never had I been unsatisfied about a screen like the one I have now on the X61T...

2. coojak

coojak Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think there is anything you can do to improve this. The anti-glare coat is embedded on the surface of the protective window or screen and creating a speckle -like noise - graininess as you described it. The LCD itself might be bright and sharp, but every time when the emitted light is propagate to reach your eyes, it has to go through the matte screen interface which cause light to diffuse and diffract and forming speckle noise. A simple solution to get rid of it is just to remove the matte window and replace it with a clear one, but I don't think that's something that Lenovo is willing to do...

3. giangn626

giangn626 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks coojak. I can now rest at ease knowing that the new ones are fixed. I ordered mine 2 weeks ago hoping it was fixed.

4. lename

lename Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I had an an SXGA+ screen that suffered after a few weeks from the dreadful combo bottom 3rd scrambled lines + unglued bezel.

I sent it for repair and just got it back with a screen that works but does not go above 1024x768. Do they just replace SXGA+ screens with XGA ones and hope that customers don't notice?

Anybody having the same experience? Or am I missing something about a driver/other issue?

I am unsure about what to do between living with an XGA screen (having paid for an SXGA+) or sending it back again and waste a few more weeks of use of this computer...

Thanks for any help/advice.

5. eng_518

eng_518 Pen Pal - Newbie

I posted awhile back about the G4 and G5 SXGA+ screens.
    lename the X60T had the G4 screens which did not have the bonded coating and did not suffer from the "moire" effect. Unfortunately those screens suffered from QT issues and the mfg. I was told went out of business. The X61T has the G5 WVA SXGA+ with a bonded coating which is just terrible.

You didn't state what X series you have. If you have an X60T there may not be a replacement for that screen and they just substituted a lower resolution screen. In any case I think it is totally reprehensible of them to just make the switch without your consent. If I were you I would either demand a brand new computer or a total refund. The bull**** with these screens/ bezels has gone on long enough and it's time Lenovo be held accountable for their shoddy treatment of its' customers.

6. JaneL

JaneL Super Moderator Super Moderator

<quizzical look>

7. lename

lename Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have an X61T and noticed the funny coating on the screen before they "downgraded" me to an XGA screen that looks more normal, but with the lower res.

I completely agree with you about the Lenovo bs and the fact that their behavior is unacceptable. I would be tempted to keep the XGA screen given all the problems you mentioned with the G5 WVA SXGA+, but at the same time I really don't like the way I am treated here and almost want to make a point and get what I paid for.

Then the question is do they have a real working SXGA+ solution at this stage or will they find yet another way to upset me?...

What a way to destroy the Lenovo brand btw!

8. sp_17

sp_17 Pen Pal - Newbie

coojak, can you go into more detail about what the screw looks like, possibly taking pictures? How do you know it's something that wasn't on the previous ones?

9. eng_518

eng_518 Pen Pal - Newbie

lename if you carefully monitor the posts on other blogs relating to these issues you will see that as of this date there seems to be no real solution that has been implemented that corrects these defects entirely. In fact there now seems to be a problem with the bezels cracking at the screw locations.

Make a note of the dates of the posts and when that person received their X61Ts. It's not very reassuring.

You have every right to receive "exactly" what you paid for. As a matter of fact there was another person who had their screen switched without their consent. Please check the other posts and you'll see the outcome of that person's problem.

10. Draxus

Draxus Pen Pal - Newbie

About Lenovo swapping out screens during repair... think I could have them do it intentionally? I bought my x61t with the xga screen for multi-touch, and now I've realized that was stupid, as I rarely use my finger but could really use the higher resolution. Now my bezel is starting to come off, so I figured the XGA is more expensive than the SXGA, if they are just swapping out the whole screen, would they be willing to give me an SXGA instead of an XGA? Works out for both of us...