Bezel peeling off (literally)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Spare Tire, Nov 30, 2008.

1. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi student,

You'll have to contact Tiffany about this one; in the meantime, what I can do, as well as P8RSON, kureshii, the rest of the moderation team, and of course the rest of the community (e.g. you) can just heed the warning about the bezel problem when suggesting the X61 Tablet PC. However, try not to be too livid in the warning, as we don't want a flame war going on now. I've done it a couple of times in the past when suggesting the X61 Tablet PC, (e.g. "...shipping delays and bezel problem aside, ..."). Either that, or refer prospective (or current) Tablet PC owners considering the X61T to perform more research (e.g. read other threads for the opinions of Tablet PCs, the problems, the pros and cons, etc) before checking out. That, or, recommend another Tablet PC, which I've seen some of your replies mention to go look at other Tablet PCs offered by manufacturers.

Indeed, I am quite aware of the screen bezel problem, a friend of mine told me that one of his classmates has a Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet PC (he didn't find out what model it was), and stated that it was, "nice". I reportedly told him that the classmate may have possible problems with the bezel in the future. Let's hope that Lenovo improves the quality of their Tablet PCs, much like the (then) IBM ThinkPad X41t was, 4,200 RPM hard drive aside. ;)

As frustrating as this is, there are Tablet PCs that have other problems, such as the Asus R1F and its battery wear issue. Asus supposedly fixed the battery wear issue, and we'll see if it is deemed true when the Asus R1E is shipped out to those who ordered it.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Tiffany may add a 'warning note' to the foot of her review page.

As to the rest of us; As SimsHsia above mentions ~ just carry on as normal. When giving someone your recommendations take all things into account.

I myself always say to people the X61T does have this issue but Lenovo will be releasing an update to the bevel problem very soon.
    What they intend to do with remaining unsold stock, I would hope they will recall and replace the bevel with the new and improved component.

3. student

student Scribbler - Standard Member

Can I mention I think your avatar is dead cool? My two favourite animals, although I prefer my polar bears to be younger and a bit more fluffy.

4. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

I got it beginning of September, so it is 8 weeks old now.

5. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

I do reccomend the X61T, even with the bezel issue. I feel the machine has quirks, any cutting edge product tends to have these kinds of things. I wanted the SXGA more than the tablet. Tablet was a bonus that was exciting, I like trying new input methods, and have grown to love the handwriting recognition.

Some would say that it is not a "NEW" notebook, IBM has made tablets is much the same formfactor before, but here we have, high resolution penabled screens, touch screens, santa rosa, Vista, Turbo Memory, core2duo, and Huge 7k drives, a new version of office, all converging in one spot, The X61T. That is why I reccoment this machine.

I was a SONY zelot, I ran my z505LS on ME,2000, and finally XP. Me was a nightmare, crashed every 5 minutes. 2000 was rock solid from the get go, and XP, well once we got the reigns on it, it was great. I have friends who bought SONY machines because they saw the hell mine went through (can you say sambucca in the keyboard in Mexico City), and it still all worked. They were ditching those machines after 6 months because of battery issues and build quality.

I feel the Lenovo is a few steps above the current gen sonys, and just about anything else. I am not comparing to a gaming machine, but against tablets and ultralights, business machines. If we play games, it is more likely to be diablo/C&C type. This isthe perfect machine for me, and I do applaud Lenovo for stepping up to the plate on the bezel issue, this is a fear of any contract manufacturing. Did you see the issues with fischer-price a few weeks ago, contract manufacture. It is all about how you handle it.

I agree that known issues should be displayed in the reviews, but lets not get too far down on the X61T, I feel it is better than most.

ART

6. LaptopGuru

LaptopGuru Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, for what it's worth, I love my X61t. No issues whatsoever, but still very new (< 2 weeks) and XGA screen. No issues at all with the chassis, screen, lockups, etc. I use it about 50% mini laptop and 50% tablet, and it is powered on about 12 hours a day.

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

"Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem"

Or to put it in English ~ Remember to keep a calm mind in difficulties.

8. pibach

I think it is a combination of multiple things. First I have the impression that the bezel is slightly bigger than the screen chassis, so it is under stress when tightening the screws. And also the whole bezel is bend a little upwards off the screen (1mm), even if I do not touch anywhere. This seems to be the standard bezel problem that many have reported here. And then the screws seem to be too tight in my machine.

But main thing must be some material fault, because otherwise you would maybe have some cracks - but not this bizarre crumbling/peeling. If you snip with a finger against the bezel, then another small part is coming of. Again and again, seemingly this does not stop. Every day I get a new surprise which bezel part is coming off now.

And no, I do not have a sleeve but I did not take this thing much around. Ok, I open and close it and swivel it, take it from the table to the couch - but it has never got any irregular stress from outside. Also it is 100% faultless from all over outside, and it is brand new (8 weeks). I never leave it in tablet mode but close it with the screen inside.

@Student: Yes, your are right, maybe I should have mentioned this severe issue more. But I assume my machine is a singular one in this respect. I called Lenovo support and they apologized and told me to replace the bezel without a discussion. And other than this bezel problem, the Thinkpad is a very good tablet, top level quality and I really like it.

However, since the bezel is plain plastic I think Lenovo better should reengineer this exposed part and build it from the same nice magnesium reinforced material they used allover the rest of the chassis.

9. MikeRoz

MikeRoz Pen Pal - Newbie

I have this exact problem. It started when I bumped the poor thing into the wall. Thus I am very skeptical when you say there was no impact whatsoever. Hint: if it was in your backpack, and you bumped into someone/something, that counts!

As long as I don't pick at it, the hole usually doesn't get bigger.

Eventually I hope to replace it with a fixed bezel, as I have the gap problem as well.

10. pibach

yes, I tend to agree, but there seems to be some inherent stress within my bezel and at the screws. Probably opening and closing with the bezel unglued gives too much stress on the screws area? Cracks started around the screws. As said, it is on all 4 corners and also at the main hinge. Today again the cracks advanced another mm...