Bezel peeling off (literally)

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Spare Tire, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

Here are some pics of my front screen bezel literally peeling off. There was no impact or whatsoever. Seems to be some material fault. You can peel the bezel further off just by deliberately poking the pen against it (see pic). The bezel is plastic, while all the rest of the chassis is magnesium reinforced and quite sturdy.

Yes my bezel is as well coming unglued. But this has been a minor problem. However this bezel peeling now is not but a dramatic quality problem. Anyone else has this frightening issue on a Thinkpad?

Attached Files:

2. LaptopGuru

LaptopGuru Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like it got dropped on the corner. I'm pretty sure the bezel issue is the bezel coming unglued from the screen (inside) not the outer edge. I don't have the SVGA/not experiencing the problem first hand.

3. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like, yes, but it did not.
    The strange thing about it is that it is peeling on all 4 corners and also at the hinge. Day by day a bit more. Fist I only notice a light slit. This got longer and longer. Than the first part just fell off. And so on. Maybe a virus? Leprosy?

Attached Files:

• 070.jpg
      070.jpg
      File size:
      21.4 KB
      Views:
    • 069.jpg
      069.jpg
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  4. x60t

x60t Pen Pal - Newbie

when did you receive your x61t?

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow! It looks like someone tried to pry the caps off to replace the bezel with a big a$$ screwdriver!

6. LaptopGuru

LaptopGuru Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah, it does look more crumbling than peeling, ouch!

7. keith11

keith11 Scribbler - Standard Member

The pics are very disturbing, really. If it is happening without even being dropped I wonder what kind of quality Lenovo is selling these days. I hope you can get prompt support from the customer service. Good luck!

Keith.

8. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

This is a first, a crumbling Tablet PC. Let's hope it doesn't turn into sand!

Now, for the image of the hinge you have there, it seems that because the Tablet PC relies on a single hinge versus dual (or more) hinges of a conventional notebook, it seems that there's a lot of strain on the bezel, thus the slight crack line you see there. The hinge area is understandable, but the four corners of the bezel is just, well, bizarre. It could possibly be over-tightening of the screws at all four edges that may cause the edge-pieces that peeled off to crack first bit by bit, then fall out entirely.

Do you put your Tablet into a sleeve or a bag of some sort? Just curious to figure out what's happening. If you don't transport it anywhere, or leave it at the desk most of the time, this is puzzling.

9. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

Mine is Doors something similar, Near the Fingerprint Reader, On the corner, The Material Looks as though it folded into the Mold, too cool to Flow in. I have Lost a small Piece But intend to have it fixed when the Bezel issue is Dealt with, (Mine is cracked Due to the Separation).

10. student

student Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh my lord, I can't believe you got that and you aren't as bitter as I am?! I also can't believe you were recommending an X61T to someone only 3 days ago. But do you know what? What I find most unbelievable is the problem you are having...

I need to ditch my X61T quickly...

Hey SIMSHISA, any chance of tabletpcreview putting a little warning about the bezel problem in its glowing X61T review?

Let's try and save people some pain!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.