Beware Fujtisu T4210 Owners - Melted Tablet!!

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Bhaltair, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgstewar

bgstewar Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't believe this actually happened. Every so often my tablet decides not to shut down entirely, so the next time I open it the battery has run down. Well, this time it did it in my backpack with the fan facing downwards. When I pulled it out after TWO hours, it was so hot I almost burned my hand. But then I smelled something...BURNING PLASTIC. MY TABLET HAD MELTED!! The screen was melted, the stylus holder melted, MELTED MELTED MELTED!! After an hour of cooling off I am still able to use the tablet so I was luckily able to back everything up. I'm a vet student so I can't afford to be without my course notes.

I went to Fujitsu's website to check the battery recall status. Apparently my battery is not involved in the recall so it should be working just fine.

Needless to say, I now have a still seemingly functional but MELTED new T4210. BEWARE! I am actually on the phone right now with a very helpful Fujitsu customer service rep. I will keep everyone posted with updates on this issue.

Update: Fujitsu customer support is VERY helpful, and they are paying for overnight shipping to their repair facility to get to work on it ASAP. The man gave me lots of numbers to keep track of repair status, and again, I will keep everyone updated as to what happens with this mess.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you for providing the information.

First, you are absolutely correct ~ the tablet simply should not act in this manner.
    Indeed it should shut off when at a temperature that could damage the device.

Secondly, as you have found, Fujitsu customer support when activated is exceptional and is one of the main reasons why I recommend Fujitsu and Fujitsu Siemens hardware devices.

As to the battery, you are correct in that the T4210 is not included at present.
    However, this is again under investigation and could well change.
    Reports such as yours could well highlight the need for this investigation to be hurried with greater vigour.

We look forward to hearing the report.

3. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

Battery in the T4210 is not a Sony battery afaik. I have had the same experience multiple times with putting the computer in the bag when it hasn't shut down properly...I assume the only thing that's saved me from melted computer is that I run it in a power profile that makes sure it's all slow when it's unplugged...worst thing is often when i've taken it out and opened it up realizing it's still on it then turns off the second i go to do anything...

As for support, I look forward to seeing a good experience when I ring them up about my damaged casing that I referred to in another thread :). We shall see!

4. P8RSON

Interesting about the battery, as the UK Fujitsu Siemens spec has the Sony.

5. bgstewar

Directly from Fujitsu's USA website, they list the batteries that are voluntarily being recalled. For the T4210:
    S/N#CP293420-01
    Lot #6508 - 6510
    Mine had the same serial number, but was lot # 6609, which the cust. service rep said was not included in the recall. But like P8RSON said, maybe there should be more batteries included in that recall if things like this happen.

6. Abicio

Abicio Pen Pal - Newbie

So sorry to hear about your experience. I think I narrowly missed this myself as well. Placed my T4210 into a sleeve in my backpack. Lukily I noticed about 20 minutes later that my back was burning up and pulled out the T4210 to see that it hadn't shut down. It was burning hot to the touch but I had no clue it was on the verge of melting down! G'luck.

7. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

i would NEVER put the system in a bag unless I am sure the system was off.
    I wouldnt even put the system in a bag on standy, even though I found out that this is OK with the t4210
    it's amazing that the system still works after all that!!

hopefully they will just give you a new system.

8. bgstewar

So I got my tablet back yesterday. It took 10 days for the repair, so I guess I can't complain too much. They replaced all the melted parts instead of replacing the whole tablet, which I would have preferred, but I guess I had no choice. They had replaced my expensive 3M Vikuiti screen protector with one of their generic ones, but no big deal. It shipped without an explanation of what they did, so I really have no idea what was repaired. The biggest deal to me was that they shipped it back to me WITHOUT MY STYLUS! So I have a tablet and no stylus, which pretty much renders it useless.

So back on the phone with Fujitsu to let them know. They said they were on backorder but would try to get me one ASAP. Just got an email saying it shipped today, so I'm pretty excited to hear that.

Overall, I would say it was a better than average service repair for a computer corporation. They seem to be on top of things and really focus on the customer. I never, EVER had to wait on hold to speak to someone, and they were happy to give me updates when I called. The fact that they forgot to ship my tablet with its stylus is not a huge deal since it could happen to anyone. What I care most about is the quality of customer service, and I definitely think Fujitsu pulled through. I won't hesitate in the future to contact them about any other issues.

9. P8RSON

I'm pleased as punch you got it back safely :)

You are so right about the customer service as well ~ which is always half the battle in getting the item fixed. :)

10. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow.. you're lucky that they replaced it all without charging you. Their policy clearly states not to put it in a bag unless it's off.
    They also tell you to ship it barebones, meaning without ANYTHING that isn't involved (including stylus). I didn't even ship my keyboard when my slate was getting repaired - I was warned not to!

Good job on getting it fixed. I'm in the process too but for other causes.
    Was your unit pretty when they gave it back? They shipped mine back with scratches and the battery not fitting right afterwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.