Beware: Acer does not restore factory settings. You have to buy the OS software again, even if you have bought a laptop with OS.

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by hollap, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollap

hollap Pen Pal - Newbie

Two weeks ago, I bought an Acer Aspire Laptop 5745G that came with Windows 7 pre-installed. For our project reasons, I had to install Windows XP 32 bit on it. Once installed, I realized that I can not get the Nvidia graphics card to work. So I called the acer support. The transcripts of the acer support staff is located here:

1. http://holla.freeshell.org/acer-chat.html
    2. http://holla.freeshell.org/acer-chat-16-jul-html.html
    The summary of the story is that they will not restore your OS if you accidentally deleted or formatted your machine.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

That is normal policy. Most machines either come with a recovery partition and you're supposed to burn disks of the recovery OR come with disks. If it doesn't come with disks and you delete or damage the restore partition they you have to order recovery disks from the company.

Some companies will send you a copy w/o charge, most do charge.

3. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

Äh...but the guy in the second chat wrote "I can provide the support os which is shipped with this laptop"...And at least in the chat you posted you never asked him whether this was a Typo and he meant "cannot" or instead what he means exactly with providing you with the support OS (i.e. without a charge or at a charge, as DRTigerlilly pointed out? And thus whether the charge is as high as a new OS or less...). The English of the helpdesk guy is so broken that it is hard to figure out whether you are right that they refuse to help restore it or whether the two of you were talking past each other...

4. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm curious... why reformat instead of dual boot?

:)ensen.

5. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Flame warning! :mad:

Because he forged ahead without thinking.

Since he is working at a project level, it is very likely that he has access to some IT support staff lurking about. If he had taken the time to ask they would have easily imaged his drive or given him the tools to do so before he wiped it out. Or at least advised him of the consequences.

Then when he calls a non-native speaking 3rd party call center and they don't bend over backwards to bail him out of his self inflicted emergency, while he's threatening them with lawsuits, he broadcasts his frustration to anyone who will listen.

If he had called a stateside help center with that up-front attitude he would likely have received the same cold reception.

Sorry if my bias is showing, but if you're expecting help, a little patience and humility will go a long way.

I would be very surprised if they won't send or sell him the required discs if he asks the question the right way.

insert fire extinguisher here--->

6. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Hollap, did you not contact them further?

In the second transcript the support rep said he could provide the image you require (as pointed out by PhotoMuis) but you don't seem to have taken advantage or queried how to do this.

I also can't see where the Acer rep told you "You have to buy the OS software again" as you say; it was your suggestion which they neither confirmed or denied.

It's been standard policy for >5 years now for most OEMs not to supply OS or recovery discs, and instead instruct the user to make their own by following the OEMs instructions.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Do you all really think that there was not some really crappy service there?

I think I would be pissed as well if I was told that I can't get support because the computer service people do not have my serial number on their system. While the OP may not be the most sympathetic individuaul, the, so called, "service" rep. on the first thread was more than inadequate.

I am at a loss to understand what the rep was suggesting on the second thread. To be sure, the OP's rant at that point doesn't help much either. That is why I guess you learn how to DL and install operating systems in OEM configurations. You have to admit that the service reps really sucked there too. It was a confluence of bad attitudes and maybe even worse service. Just tell the person that the only way Acer can help is to sell a recovery disk becuse you made a moronic move and deleted the restore partition without even making backup disks and a system image. Then the OP can make his idle threats to have "his" lawyer contact the Acer rep. and it's mercifully over.

Bronsky:cool:

8. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

I'm not sure anyone actually suggested the service was any good! :rolleyes:

But it's obvious the OP's attitude didn't help and his claim "You have to buy the OS software again" wasn't substantiated by the Acer rep at all.

Since he's not posted back, I'd also hazard that he's registering and posting at multiple forums just to air his displeasure. :eek: IMO he'd be better putting that effort into actually solving the problem! :cool:

9. GandhiM

GandhiM Pen Pal - Newbie

After reading those transcripts I can conclude hollap is an @$$hat.

He went flying off the handle with his sense of entitlement, making huge assumptions, and didn't work with the service rep at all. He basically said, "give me this" and when they didn't say, "OK! We'll take what ever you say to be true" immediately he got all pissed off.

You treat them like crap, they treat you like crap.

10. Thom4s

Thom4s Scribbler - Standard Member

Download windows 7 iso (you can even download with sp1 already applied to the install files, saves a lot of time), and reinstall with the serial key on your laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.