Better to Clone to new SSD or install from scratch?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Steve B, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I have a 500 GB 2.5" (old school!) SSD lying around, and I'm down to the last 20 GB or so on my current one. I'm debating either attempting to clone my Thinkpad 460 to new SSD (something I've never done before, ever, and would need to probably buy a case and software for), or simply rip some DVDs and install Win 10 from scratch on the new SSD. I've wondered if a fresh install (which I've not done on this Thinkpad, ever) would be useful, and make it snappier, or if it might introduce driver issues instead of solving them.

In general, my current device runs fine. However, I've had a hard time with touch responding promptly, for example (I often have to 2x or 3x tap the screen to get it to start working), and have wondered if it might run smoother/quicker besides with a new install. I've not gone through the hassle before, but now (while putting in a new drive) seemed like the time to do it if I was going to.

I was also considering upgrading ram to 16 gb ram, as I occasionally cap out on 8gb ram when multi-tasking. I'm assuming this will also help general snappiness too.

Looking for input from wiser souls.

2. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

What version of Windows 10 are you running? 1803? If so, I'm assuming you've upgraded via Windows update with each Windows 10 iteration. Generally, I install Windows 10 from scratch with each Windows 10 build iteration. I've had Windows 10 build upgrades break things. I've heard the general consensus is that a fresh install performs better than installing a new build on top of an old build.

I say all of that to answer your question. My understanding is that you will get better performance and a cleaner install if you scratch install Windows 10 with the latest build on your new SSD. Personally, that is how I would do it. However, at work I have no problem cloning SSDs over to newer / larger SSDs. But that's a business decision. It's not worth the time to install Windows from scratch for a user if I don't need to.

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've done both. Cloning is nice because it preserves all those little files and settings and tweaks and folders and such which I might need later.

But I recently did a fresh install, (Windows 10, 1703) just two weeks ago, actually, and it went faster and smoother than I thought it would. It was 10x faster than cloning an SSD. That was a pleasant surprise. It took a while to trim and sort out so everything post-installation was where I liked it, but it IS lickety split and fresh feeling now. A new start! Healthy now and again. And I'm not sad to see all the cruft removed for me. -A lot of those files I "might need later" were just junk and confusing items I wasn't sure if it was safe to remove and took up space and looked ugly.

Good riddance!

4. Steve B

Ok. Sounds like I'll give a fresh install on the new SSD. If there are some sort of issues, I always still have this back up one that I'm currently using. So, nothing lost if it doesn't work out. It would be nice to gussy up this device and get it running snappier.

Thanks for the input guys.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. ORTOX

ORTOX Scribbler - Standard Member

It just might fix your touch screen issues too!

6. Steve B

It would be nice. I’ve very had some gentle complaints about this device (that amongst them), which led me to poke around and look at things like the surface book. Getting that fixed would make it better.

I also recently installed the Wacom driver, and having the ability to soften my pen pressure settings has helped erase some of the “wobbles” from my pen input on my landscape plans- another minor grump I’ve had with this laptop versus older EMR devices I had.

Perhaps the new install, plus a ram upgrade, plus the axon driver, etc will push thing over the top. This computer was such a steal at 800$ 2.5 years ago. I feel like there’s atleast 1-2 more years in it, given my use case, if I can iron these things. In the mean time, ecosystems, iPads and pencils, Surface Go’s, etc all only get more mature, which is only good for future buying.