Better pen for Galaxy Note 10.1

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Art_N00b, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

When I use the Galaxy Note 10.1 around the house, I would like a thicker, larger pen. I already tried a pen from an Intuos 3 tablet, but that didn't work.

Any recommendations? I'm looking for something that I could buy on eBay, Amazon, newegg, wacom, etc.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Samsung makes a pen "holder" for their pen that encapsulates it in a larger body you could try that. Or you can use any tablet pc pen. They're Wacom but of a different build from the Intros models.

3. barnesgj

barnesgj Scribbler - Standard Member

Got both of these at Amazon and they both work with my Note 10.1. Both have angle drift much worse than the S Pen.

Samsung Electronics Slate PC Digitizer Pen (AA-DP0NE2B/US)

Additional Digitizer Pen for L-Series
    Motion Computing

4. plebianJay

plebianJay animation monkey

This one works great with the note 10.1 :
    S Pen W/ Eraser (8PI), Black

any of the standard penabled tablet PC pens will have a cursor offset and will have huge drift with pen tilt on the Note. The one I linked to doesn't have these issues. It's about the same thickness as a standard bic or papermate pen.

5. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks everyone. This was the info I needed. Here's a video review of the S Pen Holder:
    Samsung S Pen Holder Kit Review (For use with Galaxy Note 10.1) - YouTube

Also, a comment at Amazon for the Slate PC Pen mentioned:
    "If you use a screen cover, you need to use plastic nibs, the rubber ones drag."

...which is interesting to know.

The "S Pen W/ Eraser (8PI), Black" looks like another small pen which is what I'm trying to get away from. The eraser is nice though.

6. Racer_J

Racer_J Pen Pal - Newbie

Pertaining to a larger stylus:

You may also want to look at the Wacom Bamboo Feel as it specifically lists the Note 10.1 in it's compatibility list which could avoid any potential calibration issues. It's currently only available directly from Wacom though and I don't think anyone has actually reviewed it yet since it was released on 01.07.2013. The black and white versions ($39.95 each) are 9.5 mm diameter; 131 mm length (roughly 3/8" x 5 5/32") and weigh 18g (roughly .63 oz). The carbon version ($79.95 each) is 10.6 mm diameter; 140 mm length (roughly 27/64" x 5 33/64") and weighs 28g (roughly .98 oz). Based on a post here about a discussion with Wacom, it's not really any more accurate than the Spen is but, the size and weight might improve accuracy due to the ergonomics of it.

Pertaining to stylus accuracy and calibration:

I'm not sure about the Note 10.1 but, the Note I (the first Note phone, not the Note II) has a self adjusting feature for the stylus (I haven't used anything other than the Spen) based on what I have read over at XDA and elsewhere. It also has a LCD test section but, you need to use the phone dialer via *#0*# to access it and the Note 10.1 lacks a dialer. There should be an actual calibration app for the Note 10.1 in the Play store though if Samsung chose not to build one into it like they did on the Note I. If the note 10.1 uses the same self adjusting calibration though, all you're supposed to have to do is draw around the edges of the screen and the corners for a while while and making sure the stylus goes off and on the digitizer area while changing the angle of the stylus. If the Note 10.1 uses the same left hand and right hand settings as the Note 1 and Note II do, you have to hold the stylus at a specific angle and rotation to the screen to be "accurate" as it's designed to mimic holding a pen.

That having been said, you can sort of bypass calibration issues in the "LayerPaint" app as it has a calibration setting built into it for that app (meaning it won't work elsewhere). The TVPaint beta and other apps use the device's calibration for tracking (though I am unsure about Sketchbook Pro as the Play store refuses to let me get it on my Note I). If you set the "LayerPaint" app's option "show brush cursor(stylus only)" to enabled, you can get a pretty good idea of what angle and rotation the device expects you to hold the stylus at. It's also a good way to test if the auto calibration or the the calibration app have made any actual changes.

While where on the subject of the stylus, the XDA site pointed out you can also change how sensitive it is by popping off the button cover and using a small screwdriver to turn the screw closest to the tip of the stylus. If it's a one button stylus, you should only be able to see one screw. If it's a two button stylus, you should be able to see a second screw which has been alleged to be useful for adjusting the actually accuracy of the pointer in relation to the stylus's angle/rotation. If you chose to do this, you need to mark where the default setting is and make very minimal changes. I was able to get my Spen on my Note 1 to work better at lighter pressure levels making a minor adjustment to the screw closest to the tip. If the stylus is sitting in front of you, with the tip pointing to the left, turning the screw counterclockwise should increase the sensitivity and turning the screw clockwise should decrease the sensitivity. XDA has pictures up and several comments should you need more in depth details. A little bit of a change goes a long way (at least on the Note I).