best way to send handwritten email?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by mscottveach, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mscottveach

mscottveach Pen Pal - Newbie

on a windows 7 slate (i have samsung series 7 and asus ep121):

has anyone figured out the best/easiest way to jot down a note and
    send that as an email? i can't find a quick and easy way to do this...

...i would have thought gmail would include it natively by now, but no...

...i would use onenote -- jot the note and then email the page -- but it
    seems hellbent on insisting i use windows live to send my mail (can't find
    anywhere to change it) and i don't want to do that -- i tried using evernote
    once and it didn't really work... just sent a .ink attachment...

...the ideal behavior would be that i hit "compose" in gmail, and then i can just start handwriting in the messagespace and whoever receives the email sees the handwriting as an image embedded in the message...

...any suggestions on how to get as close to this workflow as possible?

2. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

The built in "snipping tool" in Win7 has a "send snip" function that will create email attachments. May depend on how verbose you are. Snips larger than screen size are more awkward.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Outlook 2003 and later has the ability to send Inked emails natively, just click on the Ink Tools in 2007 or later and from the review menu in 03...

I gave up on Google so I'm not sure if Google still allows you to use Outlook as a client but it used to.

HTH,

4. GreenStorm

GreenStorm Pen Pal - Newbie

If you are trying to send the handwritten eMail without a proper eMail-client (and there is truly just one proper eMail-client out there, as already mentioned) without native inking-support, the only chance you have is to write on whatever app you want to use, make a screenshot of that / save it in a format the receipent can open and then send it as an attachement in whatever way you send your eMail..

5. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Making Gmail your default mail application - Gmail Help Have you tried making your default email client to gmail? At this point any program you hit send as email should default to gmail. I haven't tried it myself (use Windows Live myself), but logically that should work.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...has anyone figured out the best/easiest way to jot down a note and send that as an email?..>>

Scott: Like jnj, I use Outlook. Be sure that the mail type is set to HTML

Options > Mail Format > Message Format > HTML

7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

SDreamer, what does setting Gmail as your default email client do, in regards to sending hand written emails? Can I somehow use Outlook and use gmail through it?

Steve S, my presumption re: your method is that you still have to use hotmail. Is that true? I have yahoo and gmail accounts like I might like to try doing this with, and I have Outlook (although I've not really used it before). From this conversation, my understanding was that I couldn't use Outlook + gmail or yahoo + handwritten ink message. Is that still true? Or is there a way to get around that?

I'm also not really interested in composing my message somewhere else, saving it, importing, etc blah blah blah. If I can't hit reply and then write the response in my email client, I'm not really interested in doing it. I'm happy to use Outlook if I need to, but I'm not going to go and get an entirely new hotmail account just to send handwritten email messages.

Any help on this you guys? It seemed to sound like you were suggesting there were ways I could do this....

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Steve S, my presumption re: your method is that you still have to use hotmail. Is that true?..>>

Steve: Sorry; I was a bit terse. I have an AOL account and use Outlook in conjunction with it. So yes, you need to pair Outlook with an e-mail provider. Yahoo and Gmail should both work, too.

<<...From this conversation, my understanding was that I couldn't use Outlook + gmail or yahoo + handwritten ink message. Is that still true?..>>

...As noted above, no, that is not correct. You can send an ink message with any e-mail service that supports HTML content...

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Sorry for the confusion Steve S. Your message did not indicate which email client you used. Its neat to hear that I can try pairing something like gmail with Outlook to send hand written stuff in the body of the text. I'll have to try that out!

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.