Best tech for Artists 2020 and last 10 years

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Dec 21, 2020.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agreed most of Brad’s comments here, we’ve come a long way from Wacom and Adobe being the only thing Artists and illustrators need to use but what do you think of his 2020 awards?

Is the concept D7 overkill? With Wacom discontinuing the 16 inch Cintiq pro, have they lost ground to Apple and Samsung in the 10-16 inch graphic tablet arena?

And is the Samsung S6 lite better value than the basic iPad for art?

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

They may have discontinued the 13 & 16-inch pros, but they still have the 13 & 16 size covered in the more affordable market with the Wacom One and the Non-Pro Cintiq 16. I don't think them discontinuing the 16 Pro was nessicarilly because of them losing ground to Apple and Samsung, since the 16 Pros $1500+ price tag kept it a world apart, but between the more affordable offerings and the bigger screened offerings, it was probably the least profitable option in their lineup. Its also possible they may have discontinued it for the purpose of them maybe having an update/refreshed 16-inch Pro on the way. Frankly I want to see a 16-inch Pro Cintiq as thin as a Surface Pro or iPad Pro, integrated battery, single USB-C connection, built in kickstand (with lock) and either give us back express keys, or iPad Pro sized bezels. 95% adobe RGB, 3/4 or 3/2 aspect ratio, and of course Multi-touch, all for under $1000. They need to stay relevant in face of Tab S7's, iPad Pros, and Surface Pros.

As far as the value of the Tab S6 lite against the lower end iPads, I would agree it is a better value since its commonly sold for $250/$300, and you get the Pen with that. The cheapest iPad with Pencil is still gonna cost at least $400. Thats enough of a price gap that I would agree it has value going for it.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Now having watched the videos, does anyone care to school Brad on the difference between Wacom AES and Wacom EMR....I think he's a little mis-informed on that.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    artistebot likes this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

I remember reading a lot of problems Wacom 16 pro owners were having getting that screen to display at 4K and that may be why it was discontinued. I don’t know, I’ve never owned one although one of my students has one this year. We are back in lockdown after Christmas but I’ll ask her as she brings it in every so often how she gets on with the display.

I just wrote elsewhere ~ “I’ve read plenty of YouTube Art channels where some teenager has bought himself or herself a cheap Samsung EMR tablet and sold enough Art to then buy something more expensive.” I’m sure there are teenage iPad owners who are doing the same thing but I’m just curious at the numbers of Samsung versus iPad owners in that age bracket who are actually producing saleable work to become the artists of the future. (Yes, they’re probably all anime fans at the moment but everybody grows out of that)

One thing I’m curious about (given how crazy the internet’s response to Acer’s ConceptD 7 and 9 Ezel have been) is whether the ConceptDs are really just overkill. Maybe Samsung have actually created the perfect 2-D Windows art machine with the Galaxy 15.6 inch series of laptops. I certainly remember @thatcomicsguy saying something about how perfect the 15.6 Note Pro was for his needs a year or so ago.

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I cant take seriously opinions of a guy that can't draw without death grip on the pen. OK that's a bit harsh, but seriously... Loosen up that death grip, "Cowboy"...

6. doobiedoobiedum

Soo grumpy... but what is your best tech advance of the last 10 years and best tech of 2020 then?

For me, the Cintiq alternatives are the best tech advance - not at the Pro end, but for most poor artists and young kids. The numbers of young artists with a graphic display in their bedroom is encouraging. 2nd place goes to iPad with Pencil but the kudos goes to the buying market that forced Apple to put stylus support on after 5 long years.
    Best tech of 2020? I’ll go Galaxy book Flex with 15 inch screen.

7. CreateNowSleepLater

CreateNowSleepLater Pen Pal - Newbie

Agreed. It's not just a Wacom world anymore and that's a good thing. I 100% agree on the iPad. Truly a game changer and I'm an EMR snob.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  8. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

For me, best tech for Artists in 10 years is still the original Samsung Note phone that came out in 2011.

And while it wasn't a truly practical art gadget given such a small screen... STILL to this day, I sit back and appreciate that I've got a viable piece of EMR technology that fits a small slate in my pocket.

I still recall to this day, the pressure sensitive goodness in such a small form factor. I spent hours playing Draw Something just to savor the S-pen. I remember when Android OneNote finally had pressure sensitive inking on a preview build and how game changing it was.

For me, I can't think of any other gadget I've bought in the last ten years that had that level of excitement when it came out.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.