1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

Best Tablet for Taking Handwritten Notes with OneNote (form filled out)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by kayyzeee, Nov 20, 2012.

1. kayyzeee

kayyzeee Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    Ideally, $500-800, but will consider up to $1000.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    I prefer new, but will consider purchasing refurbished directly from the manufacturer. I do not think I can trust buying used from a private party.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Will consider any. This will be a portable device for school and studying on the go, so lighter is better. However, I will definitely want a keyboard option available for times when diagrams aren't necessary and typing will be faster than inking. I have no preference as to whether the keyboard is a docking, snap-on type or simply a separate bluetooth device. I am not opposed to a permanently attached convertible keyboard, but I think that will be my last choice, of the three.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    10-13 inches, but will consider others.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Not really. I have always had Macs, so I have no experience with Windows or Android devices. I know that I now need to switch to use OneNote (and obviously the iPad is out for handwriting : ( )! But open to suggestions...

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    4+, the longer the better.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    By far, my number 1 priority is taking handwritten notes in OneNote, but I will also need some typed notes. Then, I will also be using it for email and web surfing, possibly some word processing.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Open to all. I already own an iPhone and a Mac laptop, so I want this to be either Windows or Android so that I can take advantage of Microsoft OneNote.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    OneNote!! Primarily.
    I might also occasionally run other Microsoft Office such as Word, Excel, or Powerpoint.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No. Well, actually, I've never considered this before, but I guess I wouldn't mind.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    No preference, but higher is preferred.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    This would be preferred, but not a deal-breaker.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes, yes, yes!! Absolutely require a pen with pressure sensitivity. From what I can see, Wacom seems to be much preferred, so I would say Wacom. But feel free to give other suggestions with explanations!

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    Doesn't matter. I can always back up to my laptop.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    Doesn't matter - again, would be nice, but not a deal-breaker.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

Overall, looking for the best tablet that will allow me to take handwritten notes on OneNote in class for things that require diagrams (like physics, biochem, physiology, genetics and other science classes). I want to also have a keyboard available for instances where diagrams are not necessary. Other than that, I will browse the web, check emails and might occasionally use other Microsoft Office apps, like Word/Excel/PP for lab reports, projects and presentations. I will also be annotating PDFs. Obviously, I want it to be somewhat fast and allow me to run multiple apps at once, etc. I am accustomed to the speed of my MacBook.

I was originally thinking that I will need a device that runs a full version of Windows to use OneNote, but today I started considering Android options. Would it be realistic for my needs to use something like the Samsung Note 10.1 with a third party app like MobileNoter, without syncing to a PC (I don't own a PC, only a MacBook). Open to all suggestions, pros and cons, etc. Thank you for all your help!! Been struggling with this problem for about 2 months now.... (So far, I have been wanting to wait for the Surface Pro, but I am interested in and overwhelmed by all the other Windows 8 options by other manufacturers. Also, a bit discouraged by Surface RT reviews. Also, looking for input as to whether Android devices like the Samsung Note 10.1 or Lenovo Tablet or..... will fit the needs described above) I have no experience with tablets! Open to all new suggestions!!

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?
  2. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

I can't say which computer is absolutely best for you, as I think many of the new Win8 tablets may fit your needs. However, I can say that Android will give you limited functionality in annotating/importing all document formats you may want to throw at it. OneNote's advantage is that you can use it as one notebook for everything... by importing PDFs, powerpoint presentations, Word documents, websites... all of which may be used as teachers all have their own preferences as to what their favorite presentation media is. And in OneNote you can then annotate all those items and have them be completely searchable.

Some other things to consider, I went the OneNote tablet route while in medical school, unfortunately there wasn't the huge influx of devices when I wanted my tablet 2 yrs ago.
    -I don't know about the new Clovertrail Atoms, but I do know that the HP Slate that I used for a brief period was EXCELLENT in portability, but it lacked the speed that I needed when wanting to quickly import a 90 slide image heavy powerpoint document into OneNote. My Vaio Z could easily do this in a 2 or so minutes while class was starting. With the Atom powered HP Slate, I had to prep everything the night before.

You will probably be predisposed to picking up an Atom tablet b/c of price, and portability allowing you to take both the MacBook and the Atom tablet with you in certain cases. They may perform much better then the older Atom tablets, but I know if I had the option to dump my Vaio Z and HP Slate 500 while I was in medical school, and pick up the expensive Vaio Duo 11 and just deal with one machine I would have. The larger screen, and i7 processor would have let me import things exceedingly fast and given me more writing space, while the unique slider keyboard would be always present AND provide a stable platform for writing with the keyboard open. I would have also heavily considered the Surface Pro. Both are above your budget though, and so Atom CloverTrail tablets will probably be the best option for you as your probably want to stay within the Mac family and keep two machines.

While you make your decision, you may want to look here to compare specifications of win8 machines with a stylus

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hardware/52592-list-windows-8-rt-tablets-convertibles-stylus.html
    and
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/har...s-windows-8-tablets-stylus-pen-digitizer.html
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  3. kayyzeee

kayyzeee Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you very much for the detailed reply and links! I will definitely look into all of your suggestions. I have one more question, though. If I choose to go with one of the new Win8 devices, it seems to me that an RT version with its Office suite would be sufficient for my needs. What would be the advantages of a Pro device with a full version of Win8 as opposed to Windows RT? Which would you suggest? Thank you!!
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

RT has no ability to run x86 or Win32 applications, none of which have Active Digitizers. With that said, if Office is your primary use, an RT device would work fine (understanding that Outlook is not included), I'm using my Surface RT 90% of the time now leaving my Samsung Series 7 Slate docked and using it to RDP into for that 10% RT can't accomplish.
  5. sonus911

I tried a Surface RT for a period of two weeks. If you can deal without an active stylus while you use OneNote (i.e. you'd use a capacitive stylus like on the iPad so you wouldn't be able to rest your hand on the screen while drawing, and you'd probably want to limit your inking to simple diagrams and simple charts), they are amazingly designed and amazingly portable. They also make great multitasking machines that run Office. Unfortunately, I never tried importing into OneNote with the Surface RT, so I'm unsure as to the performance when importing image heavy presentations that you may want to annotate.

Pro devices for your purposes will be a bit larger (a possible con) but give you the option to get an active stylus. Can you try out a Surface anywhere nearby? Bring a USB drive with a presentation, and try printing (CTRL+P from most apps) to OneNote so that you can import the materials, and experiment with trying to make simple annotations. My guess is that with a Surface RT, you'd want to type most words, and use the stylus for quick highlights and diagrams.
  6. Moshe

Moshe Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there - I'm a Pediatric Intensivist and former owner of an ASUS 13.3" tablet PC - which I loved, for the exact reasons the OP mentioned. Now I'm back in the market, and while the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is tempting because of battery life, I'm not so sure. I definitely need OneNote and preferably Wacom (I have the HP Slate 500, and I don't like it as much as my wacom tablet.). I also need PDF annotation and Office software for research.

Any thoughts on whether an Atom-based Win8 piece will be sufficient, or should I hold out for a i3/i5 unit and sacrifice battery life?
  7. sonus911

That's difficult to say, as I don't know what your computing requirements are. Why not buy either device from a store w/o a restocking fee to see if it fits your usage? If you are always on your feet, I'd say go for the lightest machine available. Regarding nTrig, they've come a long way since the HP Slate... I've used two of their later devices, the HTC Flyer from last year and the Vaio Duo 11 that was just released, and the revised stylus is much better. You'll get a lot more assistance if you make your own post and fill out the questionnaire mentioned in the sticky at the top of the forum though.
  8. Synergi

Synergi Scribbler - Standard Member

For your budget, long battery life and smooth inking in OneNote, I'd say the Samsung ATIV 500T. It is Atom, running Windows 8, so you can install your old software on it too. I'll just post what I posted else where on what I think on it since its long. OneNote is also my main use..

I've been testing the Ativ 500T for 2 days now. Mine is actually white and not the blue so I was really happy to find it in that color. I'm only just beginning to fully test it.

Office 2010, smooth inking. My only trouble with it, is I haven't been able to paste a pdf into OneNote as a print out. It would just hang up for some reason. I have my OneNote files saved on an external HD connected to my router so I ended up pasting it in from my desktop and it showed up on my Ativ. Not that big of a deal if this isn't something you need to do all the time. For me, I used it to move Notes off Daddy Note and iPad and paste them into OneNote.

Office 2013 Preview. OneNote, not usable for me. Unlike 2010, Inking was laggy and it didn't seem to quite turn off palm rejection. I'd use college rule paper, be writing and the screen would zoom out until the lines were nearly on top of each other. I also had OneNote 2010 open 2013 was not running. I tried the PDF paste as printout again, Instead of putting it on the notebook page I was on, it opened up 2013 OneNote and pasted it in (to the wrong notebook) just fine.

So, I can paste PDF's as Print outs in onenote 2013, but not in 2010. I can ink in 2010 but not in 2013. I'm sure its because its still buggy or I'm missing some download somewhere to fix it.

Keyboard Dock is a pain in the arse. If its on my lap it will be fine, then go into a fit of disconnects. I'm not sure if its because it is on my lap. I will have to test it on a desk.

Other then 2013 OneNote, I haven't had any lag. I've installed ArtRage and that works seemingly find. I smeared paint around as fast as I could to see if the processor would lag but it kept up just find. I haven't tried Photoshop or anything like that.

Stays nice and cool, long battery although I think I drained it to 50% in two hours when it was on the keyboard dock. This is something I need to test again. I'm not sure if the disconnects are draining it faster or not.

Screen is nice and bright, has nice color. Its not the best screen I've ever seen but its not close to the worse. It is more then acceptable with good viewing angles.

S-Pen, is to small, kind of flimsy. I instead use one of my Penabled Pens off a Motion Computing Tablet PC.

After installing Office 2010/2013, Updates, Aim and Artage I have about 21GB free.

Once I uninstalled 2013 I had 27GB free. I've since installed Photopshop CS5 and that's working well. 2013 RTM (final Retail version) is smooth with inking. It was the unfinished preview version I was testing that wasn't.

I paid 749 for tablet with keyboard dock. If you buy it without the keyboard, you can grab it at Amazon or Newegg for around 649.

Hope that helps.
  9. JimTC

JimTC Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the inquiry. With the exception of my using a Win7 laptop vs. your MacBook, my desired tablet (and uses) are nearly identical. The digitizer capability is KEY. I'm continuously searching to find out more about what's out there. I don't think I'll any use for capacitive drawing - I want to be able to notes at meetings, write as small as i wish on a full size piece of "paper" complete with diagrams and formulas.

Tahnks again for your posting. I'll be interested to hear where you end up.
  10. Turps

Turps Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi. I have read many of the threads, some address what I need, but can someone help me with my query? I am not tech savvy at all, so specs mean nothing. I just need someone to say which tablet will fufil my heeds. Can someone help? : i have been looking at the samsung slate or ATIV Smart Pc, or fujitsui tablets (but think Fujitsu are too dear (budget around 1200/1300)). I don't do any high end graphics, programming or gaming (except the odd one). All i want is a good quality tablet, that allows me to write good quality notes (I.e. not like those stupid chunky apple stylus things), that will convert the notes to text and insert into word, email etc and/or provide the ability to highlight text in documents (eg word or PDF), make some notes on top of agenda papers (for example). Essential for me,is to have good recording capability (without plugging in an external mic), so I can record meetings while looking through agenda papers or while delivering a PowerPoint presentation (all from the tablet). Also essential, is that i can do on it what i can on my home pc (an older one),i.e. stuff on a normal windows pc. i watch the odd youtube clip, the odd movie, and also want to plug it straight into a tv and stream a movie from the net. I would be happy if the specs allow me a lifespan of about 2 yrs. is samsung smart pic the way to go? Thanks in advance.
  11. Crazypigs

Crazypigs Pen Pal - Newbie

I DO NOT RECOMMEND ATIV solely on that it is incompatible with the new onenote 2013. All the atom clover trail processors do not have direct x 10 but 9, so there will be lag when writing. when there is graphics, like a pre printed PDF it will lag when you try to annotate it with ink. I don't know why microsoft just can't put onenote inking on the galaxy10.1 cos its cheap and every student would be able to buy it. I think next year if hasswell and bay trail don't churn out some good tablets ill get the galaxy 10.1 and use pdf annotate for lectures and print them into onenote.