Best tablet for 170$

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Oscar Svensson, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Oscar Svensson

Oscar Svensson Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    I was just asking for some advice

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    Around 170$ (Ive already ordered a Huawei T3 10, but will return it if I get other advice from here)

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    I think not.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I haven't owned one before

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches X
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    Norway

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    I don't know what to expect really

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Im a painter so I was buying it primarily for my work practice. I was thinking that I would have it instead of print pictures when I want to paint something, I could just hang the tablet on the wall and paint looking at the photo :D
    So very basic usage, but I guess I will use it for surfing and very basic drawing (when I'm not doing it on paper)

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    I have a macbook but my phone is Huawei (that's why I chose the Huawei T3 10, Im comfortable with my phone)

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    No particular

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    Maybe, not necessarily

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

So basically I just wanted to know if Huawei T3 10 is a good option for my needs. Im not usually spontaneous when shopping but this time I was, therefor I want to double check!

Thanks!

Edit:
    I bought this one (haven't got it yet)
    https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mediapad_t3_10-8636.php
    170$

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From what I gather, having looked at a couple of reviews and product descriptions, there is no support for an active stylus on the Huawei T3 10. -Just those fake-finger rubber nosed pens. Sadly, this is the case for most budget tablets.

I'm not really familiar with ultra-affordable Android/iOS tablets enough to know which one with pen support would be within your budget. I DO know enough, however, to generally advise against Android. I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, (comes with a Wacom EMR stylus) and while it's a great tablet for consumer stuff, (movies and web surfing, and the stylus is really nice for navigation), it remains an exercise in frustration in terms of digital art. They're just not made for content creation. -You can't even hold the thing comfortably when drawing because your hand keeps setting off popups, either from screen activation or physical side buttons. Plus it wants to constantly be logged in for you to use any of the better drawing apps; the entire architecture exists primarily to track users and get them to make micro-payments. It's a digital milking machine.

Now, on the other hand, while I do not have any direct user experience with Apple, there is a decent amount of positive feedback regarding the iPad Pro. So if you can find an iPad Pro with a pencil, then that might be a good fit given your preferences, but I don't know if that's possible for $170.

My area of knowledge resides mostly in the whole-hog Windows tablet PC world.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Oscar Svensson likes this.
  3. Oscar Svensson

Hm.. I understand. But the iPad pro is waaay outside my price range unfortunately.. The drawing thing was a secondary need, since I am mostly painting and drawing non-digital.

Im not sure if I should put in some extra cash to get something better, it may not matter since my price range 170-200$ is not enough for a good drawing tablet.

If we would set aside the fact that I can not draw on this Huawei tablet, is it OK for the price or can I get better? I read somewhere that Lenovo might be more bang for the buck. But I dont know

Thanks for the response anyways!

4. thatcomicsguy

I figure, either buy a proper digital art tool and benefit from that, or stick with paper. Artists only get side tracked with entertainment devices; they're not designed to help you get better. They want your time and money, and they'll get it.

When I work with students, I always advise staying away from digital art until they've got the analog world well in hand. The strongest artists are those who master pen and ink in the real world first.

I always keep a sketch pad and selection of pencils and pens in my backpack along with my digital kit.

Oscar Svensson likes this.
  5. Oscar Svensson

Yeah as I said mainly this device will hang on the wall in my studio when I want to paint from a photography. Like a digital photo frame, first I was going to buy a portable printer but since they printed so small formats and it would be expensive in the long run I was thinking I could just go with a tablet :D

So the drawing thing is not my primary goal for this tablet, I usually never do digital art. I was just thinking when traveling or something like that

Other than that, I have never owned a tablet before so thats why I bought one. Is android a stupid choice?

6. batty

batty Pen Pal - Newbie

@Oscar Svensson These are the options for $170 or below that I could think of:

If you want to go the Android route, have a look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab A with S-pen (2016). [Review from Brad Colbow]
    If you want to go the Windows route, have a look on Ebay or Gearbest at the Cube Mix Plus. It has a Surface Pro 2 screen (Wacom EMR) but a more efficient core-M processor. [Review from Lisa]
    If you want to go the Windows route and don't care about portability at all: HP 2760p or Thinkpad x230t. Those are heavy, have terrible battery life by 2019 standard but are reliable and can handle many different tasks with good stylus support. You can find tons of these on Ebay.

In Norway are you guys taxed when buying electronics shipped from the U.S? I'm asking because refurbished laptops and tablets in the U.S are much cheaper compared to Europe in general, so if you're not taxed then maybe consider also buying from Ebay U.S and pay an additional €20 or so for shipping.

Oscar Svensson and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. Oscar Svensson

I saw that the Galaxy tab A is in the same store I ordered the Huawei from, for the same amount $.
    But its older but apparently better for me

8. thatcomicsguy

For what you're describing, Android is perfect. If you can find one you can draw with, then that's a bonus, but don't expect it to change your life.

batty and Oscar Svensson like this.
  9. Oscar Svensson

Bummer, I just saw that the Galaxy Tab a on the same store is without the S pen. It seems that that they doesn't sell that version.
    So I think I will stick with the Huawei

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. Oscar Svensson

Ive been thinking today and I feel like it might be unecessary to buy a cheap tablet instead of a drawing-compatible. I am thinking of either samsung s3 or ipad. . :rolleyes: