best software for drawing (trace drawing) on Windows tablet?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Anfanglir, Jan 17, 2016.

1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hmm. It should work. Try restarting the program?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Holy crap, this is magic! Single finger pan never worked on my T901, and I always figured it was because it was the older style wack Wacom touch screen, but this totally fixed the problem! No longer will I have to disable touch to draw! (Although, oddly, I couldn't select Hand, as it wasn't an option, so I selected Palm. Worked anyway.)

I appear to have lost the ability to pinch zoom, but it was a crap shoot anyway, what with a crap touch screen and all.

@Anfanglir, did you toggle the touch setting on the command bar? It looks like a pointing hand on top of a frame, should way over on the left. Once this is selected, finger paint should be disabled.

But then, I remember when single finger pan worked on the demo version of CSP (on my T901) and promptly went away when I activated it, so who knows, that might make a difference.

surfaceproartist likes this.
  3. Anfanglir

Anfanglir Pen Pal - Newbie

Ahh that was it Selofain, now it works! Much thanks! :)

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Selofain Pinch zoom should still work. I don't recall the modifier key settings, but hunt around in that menu. It's probably just disabled.

And re: the Palm vs. Hand thing, it's one of the many subtle differences between Clip Studio Paint and Manga Studio. The Japanese developer translates CSP into English and then Smith Micro sometimes changes a few words in their MS5 release.

5. Selofain

Selofain Chronic Lurker

Eh, I'm not fussed about the pinch zoom. I never use it even on my TPT2, where it works a treat. I always use the buttons on the navigator. Don't know why, but it's just not something that ever made it into my workflow.

Actually, after some investigation, it looks like the problem is my touch screen/driver, not CSP. I recently upgraded the Wacom driver, and now I can't find any program that'll acknowledge two-finger touch. Sigh.

That's super interesting about the minor translation differences between CSP and MS5. "Palm," haha, yeah, I can see why Smith Micro would fix that.

6. SamuelGardner

SamuelGardner Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm also looking for these kinds of apps. My boyfriend is very good at drawing and he wants to try on Windows tablet. But he doesn't know what kind of app to use. I hope to help him

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well.., to get the most out of a decent drawing program, he needs a computer which is designed not just for (finger) touch input, (or one of those stubby rubber-nosed styluses). He needs something like a Microsoft Surface tablet, which is designed to work with what is called an "Active Pen". -It's a pen which can give very precise input and read pressure and such. Most tablet computers don't offer that, but an increasing number of them do.

If he happens to have one of these, and he has the proper stylus, then ClipStuidoPaint is the software to go for if you're buying; It's pro-level, and is about the price of a new video game. Completely worth it.

If you want free, then there are plenty he could find and try out with about 20 seconds of Google search.

I realize this suddenly might all sound much more complicated than you may have anticipated. If you want to pursue, the forum members here are a great bunch and very knowledgeable; I'm sure they would be happy to answer any digital art questions you might have.

Hope that helps!