Best software for drawing on tablet PC?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chocobo, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keyboardwarrior376

keyboardwarrior376 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my hands on a HP tc4400 tablet :) looking good so far

What is a good program to use for drawing stuff? I tried the built in Windows Journal but I don't like it...

I may create some sort of big comic thing so this program should be able to handle many pages in a file. thanks!

2. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Artrage, Painter, Photoshop, Paint.NET, various Corel products, InkSeine for Office integration if needed, pretty much anything but the built in drawing and writing software is good. OneNote is pretty much the standard for note taking, while Evernote is a close competitor.

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Also, Alias Sketchbook Pro. It's a nice sketching program, but not free.

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As far as pen interaction goes:

Painter: Best of the best in brush quality. Convoluted UI and steep learning curve. Comprehensive enough to be used by itself.

Photoshop: The standard, and logical UI layout, but the pen interaction with the brushes is among the worst. If you depend on doing good line art, you need something else to supplement Photoshop.

Sketchbook Pro: Very close to the brush quality of Painter. Incredibly intuitive UI. Nearly zero learning curve. Way too simple to be useful by itself. Serves as good front end to Photoshop.

Artrage: Almost as good as Sketchbook Pro in brush quality. Quite intuitive and low learning curve. More features than Sketchbook Pro as well. You can almost get away with using it alone. Almost.

5. keyboardwarrior376

Now, if I want to color in my sketches...

Do any of these programs have something similiar to "Fill with Color" function in Paint? I tried Sketchbook Pro and it doesn't have that...

6. Grod

Grod Pen Pal - Newbie

Painter does

7. Shogmaster

Why on god's green earth do you want to use that? Say no to fill. That's amateur hour.

8. keyboardwarrior376

But my work is the definition of amateur hour. And besides I'm not focusing on the art. Most of my comics have stick figures.

I will try out Painter, thanks

9. Shogmaster

Holy crap dude, that's the last program I'd recommend to a beginner. Seriously. When I try to teach that program in my class, I see my students' eyes collectively glaze over.

10. daghead

daghead Guest

Quote by me earlier before getting my tabby: "Give Inkscape (inkscape.org) a try before pirating the no-brainer commercial choices. Its free and open source, fast, feature rich, and well designed! The biggest drawbacks people encounter are a clumsy gradient editor [now fixed] and lack of a gradient mesh system, both of which are expected to improve and show up in shortly upcoming versions."

Inkscape isn't perfect with the pen and doesn't seem to support pressure sensitivity at all, but it will get you that fill thing you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.