Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't care, waiting for my 10inch Cube Mix Plus to arrive

Bronsky likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

We're all waiting for it to arrive.:thumbsup: It should give us a decent idea of how well the SGB10 will perform.

@dstrauss As far as a keyboarded smart phone, a 5" keyboard has a limited application. Samsung's pen is a far more elegant solution at that size. The only limitation on the S-Pen is the imagination of the software designer. AFAIK, there is no way to hand write a message or email response and send it in the body of the text. I would love to be able to jot a quick reply to emails on Outlook for Android and send them along. Instead, you have to convert your handwriting to text and then send. That could add an editing step for handwriting to text conversion that was less than 100% accurate.

After owning a Note 5 for a year and a half, I am still of the opinion that it is clearly the best companion device in production. The S-Pen is a game changer.

BTW, I fixed my problem with Outlook for Android. It seems that the Android security updates wipe out the password on my email account and it has to be reinserted after every update. I'm hoping that Nougat changes that. In any event O/A is running fine and syncing perfectly with my email and calendar.

sonus911, dstrauss and okieiam like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Guess I should have bought a used GN5 - I've been less than impressed with the GN Edge (neat screen, and DO LIKE the software using the edge, like the camera controls getting out of the way of the screen) - but S Pen use in OneNote is not very satisfying. I'll chalk that up to pre-GN5 tech.

4. dstrauss

Although this may really be a better companion device for the Galaxy Book crowd, one of the first (sketch) leaks shows a beast of a note taking phone in the Note body: BGR quoting SlaskLeaks

Anyway, a 6.4" super AMOLED display GN8 might just be the best note taking companion yet...say adios to bezels my friends...

[​IMG]

RANK SPECUALTION STARTED BY YOURS TRULY:

What if this beast were set for disclosure next week, along with the other Galaxy S8's - think about that: Galaxy S8, S8 Plus, and S8 Pro...now THAT would be a line up!

Hear me out. They skip WMC for the first time in ages in favor of their own event, and substitute in its place of the S8 three new tablets, all with NEW S Pens, two of which are Windows tablets. They've now been 18 months without a successor to the Note 5. Think of the marketing here - the NEW tablets and all three S8's share Samsung Flow, and the S8 Pro goes a step further and shares the S Pen. What a one-two punch and assault on the enterprise, even if they only release the S8 and S8 Plus in April, with say a June release of the S8 Pro - think of the head start and kick in the n#!$ to Apple.

Adding supposition on supposition, Microsoft is "out of the market" on new Surface devices until Fall, giving its new best friend free reign to beat up on Apple for them. How sweet it is!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  5. Bronsky

6.4" display may have nearly as much tablet space as my old 8" AVN8,:vbeek: considering the bezels. I was preparing to upgrade to the Note 8 anyway if I get the SGB10, to keep both devices on a USB C charger.

dstrauss likes this.
  6. dstrauss

EXACTLY

Every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along and changes everything.

Same pen, same charger, Samsung Flow, OneNote...
    Same pen, same charger, Samsung Flow, OneNote...
    Same pen, same charger, Samsung Flow, OneNote...are you getting it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    barnesgj and Steve B like this.
  7. djas

djas Graffiti User

Bronsky likes this.
  8. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

9. dstrauss

I'd jump on one, but I highly doubt they will ever come back to the US. I think it would be nearly impossible to get the FAA and CPSC to clear a release of the refurb, which is a real shame. Seeing as that the new Galaxy 8 is going to be nearly as tall as my iP7+, I can't imagine the size fo the Note 8, so a Note 7 would be a welcome respite from "bigger is better." Besides, unless they act quickly it woul dbe a waste of money unless we know for sure what the Note 8 will actually offer.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. Bronsky

I for one will be happy to see the S8 released in a week or so. Then the Samsung rumor mongers will focus on the Note 8.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.