Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you prefer reading PDF files then the Sony Digital Paper or Onyx Boox is probably more up your ally. These are 13 inch devices so your book will be an exact replica of the printed version. They use e-ink screens so although large they weigh less than an 8 inch device. However, if you are dependent on color illustrations you're out of luck.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

2. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been interested in those but they are just too expensive and not useful enough overall. I'm quite happy with my $40 dollar insignia flex 8.9. if only it had pen input it would be perfect.

3. Kumabjorn

Yes, they are exorbitant, especially when you consider what the hardware consist of. Many, me included, expected competitors to appear, but alas, it never happened.

4. jjsa1985

By the way, this is what I would want in a surface 4. Many are asking for 10 or 11 inches. I think Microsoft should make an around 9 inch device that is easy to hold in one hand, dimensions of 9x6.4 inches, 3:2 aspect ratio, 1lb tablet with pen and kickstand. Pair that with a PDF book store and a good pdf reader that lets you crop, sync highlights and notes, and nice page turn animations, and call it an education update to windows 10. Reading a book in a browser is the worst thing you could ask for in terms of an immersive reading experience. And all this talk of targeting education, but there is currently no solution for buying reference books in pdf form so you can have page numbers and footnotes, reading them and highlighting and annotating them. If they added the ability to sign in to academic journal databases and read journal articles right from the same pdf reader, that is what would help education.

jvloyola, kvoram and Kumabjorn like this.
  5. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried Lenovo Yoga Book both Wacom EMR and Lenovo Any Pen technology?
    For my experience, Jot Dash 2 is the best solution for note taking in Android. As good as Lenovo Any Pen and Samsung Note pen with out hovering and pressure sensitive feature.

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would really like to know what those 13.3" e-ink screens actually cost to manufacture. I guess they are quite expensive due to the very limited numbers being produced.

I would also like the idea of having an E-Ink-screen as a separate attachable display or on the back of a keyboard cover.

7. jjsa1985

Were you responding to me? If you were, no offence, but I can't by the life of me understand the purpose of such a device. If I want to use the pen, I want to write directly on the screen. If I want to type, I want a physical keyboard. If I want a tablet, I don't want a flat touch sensitive slab attached to it.

8. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeh for dstrauss, what he want is just a smartphone to take note, not 3 devices solution.
    I mean any Smartphone will do, the matter is how to choose a reliable passive pen.
    This community name TabletPCReview but it is in fact pro-digitizer
    A tablePC doesn't mean a graphics tablet
    A device not make an artist and not all people are artist

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  9. Kumabjorn

They are not that expensive, they can make them very large for ad displays or information panels and those too are reasonable. Yota Phone, a Russian producer, is the only maker I know that makes a phone where the backside is rhino and can be used for notifications or reading

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member