Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Marty likes this.
  2. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

I sure hope it's more than a few years!

dstrauss likes this.
  3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I own a surfacebook, sp4, and a S3.

The machine I grab time and time again is the S3 or the SP4. The s3 is the one I have been using as my daily driver and handles most things I throw at it.

I would love a new updated type cover and a better chip that handles the pen input but for me it does everything I need and the battery life is a huge plus.

I don't think I could ever go with android. Too many operating systems to learn for me!

4. dstrauss

I've thought about it a lot, especially after I found an S3 with one year MS warranty, dock, and type cover for $549 on eBay...but I really love the Wacom pen and silo on the Galaxy Tab A...in fact, I really love the size, weight, and screen on that little GTA10. I just used my SB in a meeting because I needed access to our server files, which is easier on the big screen, but writing on that screen with the N-Trig pen was no where near as satisfying the GTA10.

This is going to sound weird, but I may bring them BOTH to my next meeting just for the superior inking on the GTA10...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    soh5 likes this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm biased since the previous revision is my daily device now, but with the Cube Mix Plus (Windows 10, Kaby Lake m3 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, 10" 16:9, Wacom EMR support but no silo) at $379, I don't know how anyone would pick an Android device for even $279.

6. dstrauss

Well, may truly be time to bail on Apple with the continuing reports of the $1000+ iPhone 8 - typical of the quotes (from MacRumors):

"With Apple likely planning to position the new OLED iPhone as a high-end premium devicewith a premium price tag, the company is also rumored to be planning to introduce two more affordable devices with LCD displays that are closer in design to the existing iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, measuring in at 4.7 and 5.5-inches. "

So Apple is going to create a whole new category of devices - the PREMIUM premium device (of course, we already know the pedestrian iPhone 7 Plus is a premium (little "p") device).

I can hear Schiller now - "The iPhone 8 is the BEST iPhone we've ever made - can't innovate my ass - how's that for COURAGE!"

TRANSLATION - takes big ones to charge four figures to those suckers for these Suckers!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    soh5 likes this.
  7. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

I couldn't believe how close in design my Windows 10 Mobile 950 XL was compared to the iPhone 7 Plus. And it's already OLED and paid less then $300. 518 ppi of goodness. Just wish the screen had more nits. Not for use, just to show off.

JoeS likes this.
  8. soh5

Honestly I am going to keep using my 6S until microsoft gets their Surface Phone all dialed in.

I really am done with Apple's marketing. iOS is nice and I dont have much use other than chase's banking app for depositing checks, but limited storage, iOS not playing nice with onenote, small annoyances here and there with widgets...

Lets just hope Panos just smashes all expectations of the Surface Phone with a game changer this year.

dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That would be great. I am about to jump ship to a used iPhone 6S plus from a 950XL. I was having reliability issues at the worst possible times, and I don't like the navigation options that are left on WP. Waze is gimped, no Google Maps Nav, Garmin abandoned, CoPilot broken on my WP, built in MS nav too cluttered, some bad routing, bad voice guidance (uses bluetooth phone profile to announce=interrupted music). We'll see if I start missing my Lumia, but I can't wait not to have to worry about the OS, disappearing apps, reliability, and general app availability.

dellaster likes this.
  10. soh5

This is true. Valid concerns with the WPM platform.

I really hope with emulation we can get Windows 10 on the phones with the current snapdragon chips.