Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The inking experience is better on every Wacom tech device, EMR or AES, compared to any of the Ntrig Surface devices. This is my experience with the HP8EN and the DVP8 feels very smooth. Still wondering why MS has failed to address this issue. The surface line is supposed to be the ultimate digital inking devices.

Having said that, I still reiterate that the only android device I want is my smartphone for which I'm enjoying my 6.4" Xiaomi Mi Max even though it's not penabled. Anything above that, gotta be Windows 10.
    Sent from mTalk

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If Samsung swings for the fences with a 6" zero bezel Galaxy Note 8, I may be there with you. I have just been amazed how much Android has improved, and the Tab A 10 has been a joy to take notes on, as well as a good little media machine.

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 will have an S Pen in the box
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_s3_will_have_an_s_pen_in_the_box-news-23189.php

An additional detail about the device has surfaced today, however. It turns out that the Galaxy Tab S3 will ship with an S Pen in the box. That said, you won't be able to place the stylus inside the tablet when you're not using it, like on the Galaxy Note smartphones. It will just be a bundled standalone accessory, but a neat one at that.

4. dstrauss

No no no no no no no no!
    No silo is soooooooooooooo dumb

soh5 likes this.
  5. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

So, they're taking two turns away from my perfect tablet: no 8" and no silo...

Bronsky likes this.
  6. dstrauss

I won't back down from my opinion (no silo, no go) but I did notice that the S2 is only 5.6mm thick, and even the Galaxy Note 5 is 7.6mm, so it wouldn't be easy - but is is CRITICAL to making this a reliable note taking device.

7. dstrauss

Sorry to keep beating the dead horse about the Wacom experience on the GTA10, but I find note taking on that cheap little tablet is so much better than the MS N-Trig experience. It is just smoother, more accurate - the nib on glass is so much easier to control. I realize this is totally subjective, and I am NOT talking from an artists perspective, but if Wacom EMR is disappearing, it will be a terrible development for note taking...

SAMSUNG - please give us a Windows 2-in-1 with a siloed S Pen and optional full size Samsung pen...DO NOT FALL FOR WACOM's AES SYSTEM!

soh5, jvloyola and barnesgj like this.
  8. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Dale what are you taking your notes on these days?

9. dstrauss

Although I have a Surface Book, for the last 10 days I've been using a Galaxy Tab A 10.1 with S Pen (only Samsung can dream up names like this). I'm not an Android fan, but Office, particularly OneNote, work great on it. In fact, something has improved in OneNote and/or OneDrive, as notes sync almost instantly between the Tablet and Surface Book (both directions), which has been one of my pet peeves about a multi-device solution.

It comes with a siloed S Pen, but for longer note taking sessions I rely on Samsung's full size pen. It is only marginally larger than an iPad Pro 9.7 (242.5x166.8x7.5 mm vs. 240x169x6.1 mm), comes with the S Pen, supports up to 256gb mSDXC, and is going for $279 at B&H Photo right now. Considering that a refurbished iPP 9.7 with 128gb storage, plus an Apple Pencil, goes for $688, GTA10 plus 128gb card for $319 looks like an incredible bargain to me.

PS - I am waiting (impatiently) for the Galaxy Note 8, as I am toting an iP7+ right now, and am NOT good at being tri-lingual...

Telstar1948 and soh5 like this.
  10. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

reminds me of all those folks that learned graffiti on a Palm Pilot and all the kids now in their twenties that learned texting with T9 keypads. of course everyone can download apps to simulate these things if they miss it.

Edit: I still miss all the WordStar control codes...

dstrauss likes this.