Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

keep the Samsung's silo
    R A W H I D E

dstrauss likes this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Pen 'em in, pen 'em out
    Ink 'em in, erase 'em out
    Sync 'em up, put 'em up
    SILO!

XJ12 and Kumabjorn like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

So, if your companion note taker is a 10" android tablet with s-pen, your phone might as well be a Note 8 or possibly even a Galaxy S8, since you are likely to have an s-pen with you anyway in the 10" tablet. Does it even make sense to have a windows phone at that point?

I am still fond of my 10" windows device and GN5 solution. I do like the look of the Note 8 and, believe it or not, am squeezed a bit on the Note 5 for space. I will probably be getting a Note 8 when they come out later this year (with a slight wait to see if they burst into flames). The real question for me is the SP5 or wait for a 10" ARM penabled device. It all depends on how great the SP5 is I guess.

4. dstrauss

Well, I can sure tell you one thing, a three device solution with THREE different operating systems is a dyslexic cluster...

In fact, I have liked the GTA10 so well, that not only does it make me want a GN5 or GN8, it makes me want to use my SB less and less for note taking - imagine that! That S Pen experience is just so smooth and convenient that I don't want to jack with pulling the SB apart. If Samsung were to get its head out of its nether region and put an S Pen in the Windows Tab Pro series, I could easily see myself with a Samsung solution ecosystem.

However, for the time being I really do like the SB as a laptop, and as long as the GTA10 and GN5/8 keep syncing OneNote and Outlook so well, I don't think the I'd have to go that last mile for the Samsung Windows Tablet - what would I really gain over the ease of note taking on the GTA10.

The sad thing for Microsoft is that folks like me may be finding a new comfort zone, making the gamble with the "ultimate mobile device" pretty risky, UNLESS it comes with a N-Trig equivalent to the S Pen...fat chance of that I'm afraid...

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So the Surface Phone needs to be the optimal one device solution for you to switch? That is one tall order, but our resident Microsoft guru came by with an enigmatic greeting a little while ago. Perhaps? Maybe? Could it be?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have to say, that from my point of view this is very far away from perfection. I mean the geek in me looks at these kind of UMPCs and for a moment goes "hey, cool stuff!". I thought that about the OQO Model 01, the Vaio UX Micro PCs , the Vaio P-Series, and with more recent devices like the Ockel Sirius A, or the GPD Win.

But after the inital excitement over these kind of devices my other brain cells kick in and make me think what am I actually going to do with it? And in that sense, of the partial list above, really only the GPD Win makes sense, as a sorta Game Boy running Windows.

The fact is that Windows UI on a 6" device still sucks. So we still have to think what for and how are we going to use any future "full" PC in our pockets?

All these recent discussion about the Surface phone, Continuum, Win10 on ARM, foldable devices etc. make me think that Microsoft is doing some things wrong.

A Surface phone can only succeed if it works well as a stand-alone device. It doesn't matter if it can run all the Win32 software in the world if you need to connect it to another display. So a foldable device would make it possible to use that desktop software on its own display when it is unfolded. That would make that feature acutally useful for the masses. But as an extension for a Continuum-like feature only, this would collect dust on the shelf. People won't replace their Android or IOS phones for the occasional option of running desktop software through a hardware bridge/dock.
    I dobut that MS will be able to convince enough of the important developers to code for their platform to make a non-foldable Surface phone interesting for the consumer. If people are going to miss their apps on a Surface phone, this will be another disaster in MS phone "strategy".

With MS and Google becoming more direct competitiors, cross-platform support on the OS level is also very unlikely.

I kinda wish MS would go another way with Continuum. Instead of running apps on the phone and using a display or lap-dock only as dumb output accessories, I would like something like Windows To Go for a future Win10 on ARM Surface phone.
    Instead of running everything from my phone's resources, MS should make it possible to connect a Win10 on ARM device to any other Win10 computer and then run Windows like from a Windows To Go USB drive using the resources and performance of the computer it is attached to.
    Ideally this would run as a second desktop to make transfers between those devices easy. For me this would be much more interestign than the underwhelming Continuum feature.

7. dstrauss

No - I really didn't mean to imply the Surface Phone has to be a single be all end all device. If the Surface Phone is a great blend of phone and mini-tablet, then yes, I could see a two device solution again - but it would have to have a silo-ed device.

8. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Nor a Dutch offering. I was looking at one but could not find it anywhere. Only the 9.8" one.

I was looking at the GN5 before I bought my Lumia. Again, same problem: not introduced in my country.

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  9. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

You guys actually made me doubt myself but this mythical tab a does exist:

[​IMG]

And here is the local wallmart website:

[​IMG]

You should be able to get that from ebay in the states.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

10. dstrauss

@jvloyola - Sorry. I wasn't questioning whether it exists, but it seems to be an extremely restricted SKU. Now that I've played with my GTA10 for a few more days, not sure I want to give up those extra couple of screen - it's definitely like an iPad 9.7 vs iPad mini. I did see one on eBay - is it really 1024x768?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017