Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Comparison 'desktop usage' Duo 2 at 3:13 and Dex at 5:44. Not entirely the same since Dex offers much more features of course but I do like how the Duo's ui seems to be more touch friendly while still being split for multitasking (seems fun to use on a touchscreen laptop or on a Surface Pro).

2. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I bought a Samsung S20FE (nice phone imo) and tried both YourPhone and DeX (wirelessly) in combination with a Surface Go 2.

What I liked about DeX is that apps can run fullscreen and can be rotated between landscape and portrait. What I disliked was that it was somewhat laggy and it felt bloated (sort of running an OS on top of an other OS; OSception).

While with YourPhone I disliked that I could not rotate apps but it did felt much better integrated to Windows 10. What I really liked in YourPhone was being able to quickly drag images from the phone to the Surface. The ability to also pin phone apps to the Windows 10 taskbar worked also well.

One thing I still do not know for certain is regarding privacy. I read that with YourPhone files and clipboard are transferred locally through Wifi from phone to pc (instead of through the Cloud) but I am not entirely sure about this. Does anyone know this? And regarding DeX?