Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I hate to re-ignite the debate, but Forbes just published a piece entitled "Apple Just Gave Millions Of Users A Reason To Quit Their iPhones" which looks into the ease of switching databases for Apple's CSAM searching software AND revisits Apple's willingness to compromise for China and other bad actors....

“We wrote the only peer-reviewed publication on how to build a system like Apple’s — and we concluded the technology was dangerous,” state Jonathan Mayer and Anunay Kulshrestha, the two Princeton academics behind the research. “Our system could be easily repurposed for surveillance and censorship. The design wasn’t restricted to a specific category of content; a service could simply swap in any content-matching database, and the person using that service would be none the wiser.”

This has been the predominant fear regarding Apple’s CSAM initiative. The goal of the technology to reduce child abuse is indisputably important but the potential damage that could come from hackers and governments manipulating a system designed to search your iCloud photos and report abusive content, is clear to all.

Timmy's assurances to the contrary, this could be the ultimate surveillance tool in the wrong hands...

daddyfish, Kumabjorn and dellaster like this.
  2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It was all pretty obvious, even to your average person, that this could be quite easily be abused. I'm sure infosec people are having palpitations over it (or perhaps rubbing their hands). But it's good to have a credible analysis of this out there.

Regarding if it is morally right or not; I think I'm prepared to go all hyperbolic and say that implementing such a system and therefore normalising it is treason to a democracy. Of course it's authoritarian states' wet dreams come true.

dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

If further derailment of the companion thread (sorry guys, I started this twelve pages ago...) is allowed, there's an interesting test case of Apple's resolve in doing the right thing when asked by foreign governments. Russian courts claim that the app of a political rival spreads extremism, and that it should be taken down. So what do you do if the country says 'it's illegal'? I think they'll comply, but we'll see.

If they do comply, I am curious how Apple would deny a court order to modify the image searching database. It is a different kind of government request, but I'm curious if they would deny irrespective of the country's threats, and if they DO comply, if and how users would hear about it.

Bishop, Tams, Bronsky and 2 others like this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

Follow-up on my iPhone trade-in for the S21U. I have no FedEx shipping center within 150 miles or more so I sent it USPS with the bottom half of the label printout inside the box, as they say to do in their FAQ. Arrived & signed for yesterday before local noon. But Samsung has no record of it.

Chat was an utter waste of half an hour. The person on the other end couldn't comprehend the above info no matter how I rephrased and repeated it. At the end they advised me to wait longer because it might take up to 7 business days for it to be delivered. WTF.

So I went to the support page again and had them call me on my phone. I lucked out with a person who understood, checked, had me email a pic of my USPS receipt, and routed it all to the people who take care of such things. Maybe it'll work itself out without me having to attempt an insurance claim. We'll see.

For the Watch trade-in I might just let that expire as I sell it for more on Swappa. :p

5. dstrauss

Ted - you might check out Mac Me an Offer - it's a division of macofalltrades.com which was recommended to me for purchasing used Macs etc. They have offered me $255 for my Apple Watch 6 - a lot better than the $135 Samsung was offering, but not sure I want to unravel the Samsung offer yet as their discounts are juggled across both my Watch4 and Fold3 orders to "maximize" my benefits, which Samsung actually did do.

FYI - in addition to elaborate packing instructions, their offer came with the USUAL disclaimers:

Important Information
    ● The final offer may differ from the estimate for reasons including: incorrect model
    selected, undisclosed defects, or any other issues.
    ● Mac me an offer is not liable for any shipping damage due to insufficient
    packaging.
    ● We only accept products with U.S. English keyboards.
    ● All products and accessories must be fully functional and in acceptable condition.
    Cords cannot be frayed or have exposed wiring.
    ● Do NOT send any other accessories unless you have received written
    confirmation that we will be purchasing them from you. This includes but is not
    limited to: cases, screen protectors, and SIM cards. These items are immediately
    discarded upon receipt at our facilities and we are unable to retrieve them if you
    choose to have your product returned.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  6. dellaster

Thanks, @dstrauss but it's already up on Swappa. I'll probably net ~$100 more than Samsung offered.

Edit: I should add that I'm not trustful of those kinds of places and their initial offers. Back in the day I would use Gazelle.com until their offers started becoming fiction. It would always be way less than initially. It tried a couple others and same deals. No thanks, I hate that kind of swindling business practice.

Edit2: Samsung apparently got motivated to find my iPhone and check it in. All is now okay, they accepted the trade-in for the full amount. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    nnthemperor, Marty, dstrauss and 2 others like this.
  7. dstrauss

Good advice Ted- I forgot about my daughter's experience with Gazelle - they claimed there was a microscopic scratch on the camera lens of her iPhone 6s and cut the offer in half - I demanded it back and darned if my high powered iPhone camera could see that scratch...

nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  8. dellaster

It's too late, the ship has sailed, but if any company tried to claim that their headphone jack was omitted so that the device could be to thinner (looking at you, Apple), they lied.
    Screenshot_20210901-110711_Samsung Internet-01.jpeg
    2015 Vivo 4.75mm thick

As Mrwhostheboss says in the video, "Which just goes to show that if a company wants to put a headphone jack on a phone, they can put a headphone jack on a phone.” From this YouTube video:
    Waterproofing? The Galaxy Note 9 had headphone jack, SD card, and S-Pen silo while being IP68 certified.

It's 100% so that it's easier and cheaper for the company to make. I'd love to hear a company admit it.

/Pet Peeve End

Tams, nnthemperor, bloodycape and 3 others like this.
  9. dstrauss

Quit your complaining - they saved $0.027 eliminating that headphone jack! (Yes, a full 2.7 cents per phone!)

Tams, nnthemperor and dellaster like this.
  10. dellaster

Maybe another penny or so per phone to design & manufacture it for IP68, to be fair.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.