Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I honestly don't see the point of going to these lengths. Yes, you may not want those apps, but they don't take up much space and once disabled you don't see them. Sure, you might save a few minutes of battery runtime and gain a couple of points on some benchmark, but I can't see any situation in which that is worth it.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That'd be great, except Samsung doesn't allow you to disable most of them.

3. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

But it'd still be above $800

Sent from my SM-N975C using Tapatalk

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Have to say another 15 minutes with the Fold 2 was a real eye opener. The BB has to have been fairly abused, having been out on display for about 6 months, and it was butter smooth and beautiful. I just kept thinking "if this only had a siloed S Pen, phone and tablet would be one."

It also got me to thinking how good a Duo 2 (oxymoron much) would be with small bezels and inside waterfall screens that touched so you had a nearly seamless experience - but you'd still have to cart around a full size pen...

6. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Carting around a separate pen is definitely an issue with the Duo. I went from a note 9 with a wallet case where that was the only thing I had to grab to leave the house to the Duo. It came to me with a skin on, so it already didn't fold quite all the way flat, so I tried putting the slim pen in the gap, which was okay, but not a way I would carry it around. I also tried adding the bumper and a stick on card holder to get an all in one carry, but yesterday I took everything off so I could finally see what it was like folded around fully opened. It's definitely best used completely naked (that's what she said).

So, I'm back to carrying a bag. At least it's a much smaller bag than the various diaper bags I carted around for years. We're finally out of that stage. That allows me to have a spare pen in the bag too. And a folding keyboard, because, why not?

desertlap likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Totally agree that carrying the pen around separately with the Duo is a major pain. I'm infamous for leaving it, or the one for my Surface Book, or both, at customers...:)

However, not fact based whatsoever, but I have a feeling that Samsung may forego a siloed pen in favor of what they are doing with the s21 Ultra which is to create a (IMHO very awkward and bulky) separate case with a pen slot.

I'm basing that on two things. One, the last slew of pen enabled devices from Samsung such as the new Galaxy Chromebook 2 dropped the siloed slot of the Chromebook as have the latest windows devices too.

Number two, Samsung does have a "Galaxy Pen Pro" in the works for sometime this summer and the early stuff we are hearing is that they are positioning it as "the Samsung Pen" for their pen enabled devices.

PS: Just to be clear, the Chromebook 2 doesn't support S-Pens, but only USI ones. Allegedly the "Galaxy Pen Pro" will also support USI.

Take the above as "informed speculation " and not hard fact. :)

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If the Fold 3 requires a sleeve holder for an S Pen, I think that could be a real losing proposition, BUT I have to admit that the Fold 2, when closed, is pretty slim and tall, so it may not be a total loss, and sure would save Samsung a lot on design.

BUT FOR ALL THINGS SACRED AND HOLY, JUST SAY NO TO USI SAMSUNG!

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The case with the pen is probably the best solution other than the siloed pen itself. But, it's not a close second. In the siloed SPen, Samsung had the perfect solution to portable note-taking: the best EMR writing experience coupled with a silo that worked perfectly for the life of the phone (until you ding the opening by dropping it too many times). Unfortunately, the market for those features must not be very large or vocal because the trend has been to eliminate silos and abandon EMR although it produces a better writing/drawing experience.

dstrauss and desertlap like this.
  10. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

EXCEPT... I doubt Meso will be buying it either (it will totally fit in my pockets though). Lacking the Bluetooth features really sucks. I do use that fairly regularly to take pictures.

I've been sticking to buying older phones off eBay since my Note4 though. I'm currently using a Note9, so I still have at least a few years before I have to worry about this. My next phone will be a Note20 (heavily discounted) =P