Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah we received some PR stuff from Sony yesterday. The press materials for both the a1 camera and the phone prominently feature the other device.

The A1 especially is inspiring strong tech acquisition desire in me even though both my skills and bank account are in no way at the level they should be:)

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

You could justify it by becoming the next internet sensation.

nnthemperor and desertlap like this.
  3. desertlap

If you have actually seen my face, you know that's not going to happen since it's not up to the task either:p:cool:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The A1 especially is inspiring strong tech acquisition desire in me...>>

@desertlap : I used to lust after the new Canon R1, but I discovered that my existing DSLR works just as good today as it did before the R1 was introduced...!

nnthemperor, Bishop and desertlap like this.
  5. desertlap

yeah my three year old nikon is far more capable than I am

6. desertlap

New article on Engadget about Samsung's approach to smartphone photography.

As with both Apple and Google, they are leaning hard in to computational photography but a key difference seems to be their focus on user feedback and a "more pleasing" approach which tend towards over saturated colors and higher sharpening.

From what we've seen Apple is more color accurate but also tends to amp up the contrast compared to Google or Samsung.

And Google tends to be the most "accurate" technically.

However, except for some specialized applications where accuracy is paramount, I'd argue that "pleasing" is a solid approach.

The parallel I would draw is in headphones, where there are strong advocates for accurate or "neutral" sound while others prefer stronger bass or a "brighter" sound.

Especially since its the end user looking or listening that argument has strong merits.

PS: FWIW in my house, My wife and I are the only ones that prefer the "apple look" where as both daughter and son prefer the "Samsung Look"

Samsung Mobile's head of camera R&D doesn't want your photos to look like mine | Engadget

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Interesting observations. A few questions for you, as I love delving into picture analysis. :)

I assume by 'color accurate', that's measured by average dE compared to the RAW image? In what way then are Google's photos more 'technically' accurate?

Also, I've heard it said that Apple photos preserve the greatest dynamic range for later edits. But if Apple boosts the contrast, wouldn't that crush out the color detail and be worse for edits?

nnthemperor and daddyfish like this.
  8. desertlap

@Marty
    1. color accuracy - Primarily JPEG output since that's the way 95% of users consume their photos. RAW it gets considerably more complex and in some cases is down to the hardware sensor which if you are talking about Google Or Samsung they both have their strengths and weaknesses

eg. from our tests, generally Samsung does better in lower light and with the blue green end of the spectrum where as hands down, Google wins the prize for reds

This is based on our own testing with calibrated industrial spectrometer image capture hardware/software that we use in some of our custom devices where accuracy is of mission critical importance.

And with Apple it get's even more complicated as apparently even "RAW" is not truly raw as Apple seems to be doing some post capture, but pre writing to storage manipulation of the image to improve things like dynamic range.

The theory (though I don't think it's been confirmed by Apple) is that they are taking multiple captures with every single image and combining them. I don't see anything wrong with that per se, but it is not technically true raw.

2. As to black crush, potentially it could happen, but see the same trick above to preserve detail in the darkest parts of the image

TLDR, Apple more than anyone has fully embraced the computational aspect and you can't really escape it on their devices

Marty and daddyfish like this.
  9. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Does color accuracy with these high-end smartphone camera's (of these 3 brands) here actually also refer to inaccuracies of hue or only saturation?

And does anyone know how these 3 brands compare with photos made with flash/strobe?

10. desertlap

Yes, but far more in saturation, or lack of, compared to errors of hue. That's one area where sensors in the last 4 years or so have made enormous strides across the board. So much so that it's not really an issue for 99.95% of applications of that. Sony as a by product of working with Nikon on DLSR sensors has been a leader in that respect (and Google uses Sony sensors in their phones)

daddyfish likes this.