Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

He likes the s-pen feel in hand over the Note line up because it is thicker.

2. franzander

franzander Pen Pal - Newbie

To pick up on that point, for me a micro SD card slot is a requirement for a phone as long as higher storage variants are considerably more expensive. I have all my music on a micro SD on my Galaxy Note 9 - the 128gb storage is still perfectly fine for apps and documents I use etc, but for my music collection I need another 100gb or so, so with a 400gb SD card I can store the music and have plenty of space for photos, videos etc. Not sure how much more a 512gb variant would have cost me, but I'm pretty sure my current setup was cheaper (the 400gb card must have been around 50€ on sale back then).
    I might be tricked into not caring so much about the micro SD card if the phone offers at least 512gb storage as the base variant and ticks all other boxes.

Edit: fixed some orthography, sorry for the mess (one needs to know how to properly handle swiping keyboard on the phone)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    JoeS likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm afraid the mSDXC card issue is completely out of our hands at this point. Vendors are making a FORTUNE off memory upgrades from phones to PC's - what they charge is OUTRAGEOUS - so why give us an opportunity to do more for less?

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok, I'm going to be "that guy" for a moment. Every single connector or option adds to the cost, size and complexity of the design of a device.

And all of the manufacturers balance that with the size/needs of the market that wants that particular support.

In the case of MicroSD its really the case that the phones default onboard storage has now reached the more than sufficient level for the large majority of customers and thus it's only folks like us here that made active use of the tech (myself included).

Apple figured out smartly that they could get another $100 or so out of their users "to make it more future proof". It's simply smart marketing. eg. If I'm already paying $38 a month for my new phone, it seems like a no brainer to pay $39 a month and get double the space.

I think around the time of either the S8 or S9 Samsung told us that the majority of users were using in the range of 50% of the phones storage. And that their roadmap put far more emphasis on things like wireless charging, longer runtime and bigger displays.

Again we are very much the minority compared to the broader market in that we use features. When you are selling millions of devices, all of the companies are looking at features that will help them sell another million, not 10,000

TLDR. It's the tyranny of the majority.

And of course it's across the spectrum and drives things like removal from PCs or for that matter things like user upgradeable memory. Several years ago, HP told us that less than 15% of their buyers upgraded their RAM from what came with system on their Pavilion systems. OTOH, they heard constantly about lighter, thinner, better battery life.

eg. it's far easier for companies to get their users to pay $100 for double the storage, than say $50 for a fairly nebulous benefit like a micro sd slot, at least as far as mainstream users go

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    dstrauss, Tams, Steve S and 1 other person like this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Sing it, brother! And the lowest common denominator gets lower every year. o_O

6. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Once "waterproof" certification became the requirement, the death of the micro sd slot was inevitable.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I am currently using 62.84 GB of the 256 in my Note 10. The SD card was not available on the Note 10, only the 10+. I guess I don't miss it.

8. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

In Lisa's review of the S21 Ultra, she mentions that she thinks the next Note Ultra will have the microsd card slot because it's suppose to be the do all top of the flagships for Samsung(or something along those lines).

9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

You've been able to use other Wacom EMR styluses on every single Note.

This is all true, But at it's also kind of morally bankrupt of them (at an organisational level)*. And almost all of us left annoyed do not have the means to set up a company to produce something that we do want.

*although concerning e-waste, even the employees share some of that blame.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    nnthemperor likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

To capitalist bean counters, the only "bankruptcy" that matters is financial...