Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

On Google Fi they're offering $400 in bill credits, plus the $200 Samsung.com store credit, plus the free SmartTag, if you get an Ultra. Honestly not bad at all for a preorder of a brand new flagship.

Edit: Even better of a deal for new customers, who get 50% back in bill credits.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    JoeS likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Makes me wish there had been a legitimate successor to the Galaxy Book 10".

Tams, violajack and darkmagistric like this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Not a lot of talk either way on the new S21's . I thought ta least some here would gripe about the loss of the SD card slot across the board instead of just the low end model.

That being said, I rarely if ever used them in phones, but I do find them useful occasionally with tablets and regular PCs (one I have houses my digital music library)

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

He gets into the pen vs the Note a bit.

5. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Note line.

Also reports that the Snapdragon 888 is running a bit hot are... concerning.

Not so keen on his take on the S Pen. Yes, a bigger stylus is better, but on such a small device how many people are going to be using a stylus for extended periods of time? A smaller stylus that fits into the body is better.

And it's not like larger styluses can't be used for those who do use such devices for long periods of time (terrible for your body, mind). Ideally Samsung would make a case for a Note with a slot for a larger stylus.

The UK does still use some imperial units, but temperature is not one of them.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    dellaster likes this.
  6. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Yeah, it’s the age-old dispute between different usage, different preferences. The unfortunate fact is that a device with a “stick pen” + silo does not preclude a full-sized pen albeit with an extra cost, so both sides can “win”; but the opposite is not true, if there’s no silo pen or equivalent only one side “wins”.

Tams, dstrauss and bloodycape like this.
  7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

8. desertlap

Thanks, haven't been in England in a good while, last time I was they were using both on radio and tv.

On topic, I can confirm that the 888 chip is "challenging" from a thermal standpoint. We just got our engineering samples and cooling them looks to be more complex than previous snapdragons. Very preliminary, but the "zero to max heat" ramp seems to be steeper by a good bit.

It's possible that it's just immature firmware at this point and I've seen similar thoughts over at XDA.

OTOH, it is a very fast chip, and the graphics seems to have gotten a significant boost.

PS: In our brief discussion about the new S21 phones, one of their engineers said "this is the most advanced s-pen we've put in a device. No specifics beyond that though.

Tams likes this.
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Haha, no worries. Yeah, they used both for the benefit of the oldies. It's mostly just Celsius now.

Anyway, interesting comment regarding it being the "most advanced s-pen". It's missing the bluetooth features, so it must be about the EMR. Perhaps just a reference to the display refresh rate? Although there's now the s-pen Pro, which I'm guessing the reviewers haven't received yet? It sounds like it also has bluetooth.

desertlap likes this.
  10. desertlap

Yes agreed about the somewhat nebulous comment initial on the s-pen; if Samsung remains true to form, when they bring us actual units to try/test they usually give us a fairly comprehensive brief in the core tech.

And I I do suspect that having a higher refresh rate display both requires and improves things like pixel precision and latency.

I'll post what I can after the visit.

nnthemperor and Tams like this.