Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Right now I'm a "freelance entrepreneur" :) but in a past life, I was an independent IT consultant for SMEs (ie. I fixed up messed up systems with some actually good tech.)

PS. Don't worry, I've handled some 'boardroom showdowns' before, usually ends ok. Or as I like to put it, "it's better to be a wise-ass, than a dumb-ass." :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    dstrauss and violajack like this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

This seems an appropriate moment to share something that gave me a good chuckle after reading an Ars article about an amazing iPhone exploit. One user asked "If a single person could do all of this in six months, just think what a better resourced hacking team is capable of." to which user TheUgly responded

"If there’s one thing I’ve learned in commercial software development, it is that if one person can buckle down and do it alone in six months, it will take a well run commercial agile team of 10-12 engineers broken into three or four sprint teams with a scrum master and daily standup and detailed quarterly sprint planning at least three or four years of dedicated cross functional engineering before the company creates a new platform team to redevelop part of the solution on the new unified cloud platform."

:cryingwithlaughteremoji:

daddyfish, Tams, dstrauss and 4 others like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Jim Cramer says the cloud is a bubble.

4. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

OMG this is so true.

But don't forget the other "key" contributors of the team...
    Like the "executive director of strategic initiations" (basically each and every salesperson's title variant) going out to capture and radiate while overpromising way past the point of exhausting resources, the nurturing customer exp team providing a feedback mechanism of agile continuous improvement to reduce churn, create advocates and refactor the company to the point of matrix dysfunction, and the marketing team extracting the latest internal buzzword to virally trumpet a roadmap that doesn't exist.

Four years? No problem, just reorg the pods!

desertlap and JoeS like this.
  5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

, well UWP can do it quite well as well that it support all input which why it is a shame big developers do not much with it (excluding Unity compilations iirc). I made some UWP apps for myself and I am quite satisfied with results and I do see MS still updating it in visual studio. Maybe 10X can finally give it that push it needs.

Interestingly enough, pc games in general are starting to become more multicore efficiently. Same goes for 3d programs I think.

Whatever the case multi core does still help quite a bit of course since often there is more then 1 program/process actively running (also think of background stuff).

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@desertlap, @Marty , @Steve S

BRAVO GENTLEMEN - today's exchange hit the trifecta - informative, engaging, and entertaining - way to go!

Bishop, nnthemperor and Kumabjorn like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So just to add fuel to the rumor pile, has anyone noticed how frequently MS has been updating My Phone in the last couple of months? By my count there as been at least 4 updates.

So that being said, no major functionality changes yet ..........

nnthemperor likes this.
  8. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Honestly, I've given up on Your Phone. It's slow and laggy to load my text message conversations, and it frequently fails to send MMS properly. It doesn't sync notification status with the phone, and so that just ends up annoying me most of the time anyway. And for non-Samsung phones, the screen sharing is no longer available.

What I just use now is Google's Messages for Web... which now with Google Fi is far superior to Your Phone. I can make calls, check my voicemail, and send and receive SMS/MMS through the web browser... even if my phone is turned off. I just added that web app to my start menu and it's way better.

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I use My Phone for transferring photos and reading messages when I'm at work. That's about it. You're criticism of the app is well earned.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Saw this on Engadget. Its only a concept phone, but its an interesting take on the folding phone craze. Its also penabled with what looks like an EMR silo pen. Again since its only a concept, given its design I would be very skeptical if it ends getting released with the pen (emr anyway) but its an interesting concept.

https://www.engadget.com/oppo-nendo...n-sizes-152840382.html?itm_source=parsely-api

The Pen comes out at the 34 second mark in the vid