Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I found a "smartphone" companion that's even bigger than the duo or an open fold. Along the lines of that earlier Tab 8.0 with spen that you could get on Amazon as an international model with 4G, I got a Samsung Tab S6 Lite, international model with 4G LTE. It comes with full phone functionality. I swapped my Note 9 sim into it and my husband called me and it rang on the Tab. Hilarious. Fantastic SPen. Less than half the price of getting the Tab S7 with the 5G from ATT.

Now, as hilarious as it was to watch a 10" tablet ring as a phone, I'm not about to pay for another phone line, and I can't hardly carry it around in my pocket as my only phone. So, I tried it with the sim from my Surface Pro X. It didn't work with the tablet sim at first, so I had to add the tablet APN manually. But with the Broadband APN, it works fine for data only.

nnthemperor, desertlap and Bronsky like this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I agree that having the spen included would be a strong selling point in a Note Fold. I wouldnt get one otherwise. Would it help me spend 1500$ for a phone/art tablet combo? Man, I don't know. That's a helluva expensive price. Still, it is sort of the dream phone/tablet device I've thought about for year.

I do wonder though- I would like to put a screen protector on that had some small bit of texture, for sketching. I don't know if you can put a SP on a folding device? A semi-matte screen protector, like a Paper-like, with a felt-tip Samsung pen would be badass.

3. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I am seeing the regular Note 20 for about $555 at best buy if one goes with the verizon payment plan. My Pixel & I met the road yesterday & USB-C port is acting up. It's tempting to go Note 20 just for the S-Pen. Then again the S20 is $580 at Samsung's site & that has the better display & doesn't require a device payment plan. Not a fan of Samsung interface, but the Note has S-Pen. Hmmm

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You sound more concerned about your phone...but I'm concerned about you! :vbeek:

You're ok, right? :vbwink:

darkmagistric, nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I am okay, just a chipped tooth, well two of them. Plus a bruised ego, which will take a little time to heal.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Okay. I have an issue that drives me nuts. I have Outlook on my Go2. I also have Outlook for Android on my Note 10. My personal work email is a pop3 account which Outlook for Android does not support naturally but can be jury-rigged by using outlook.com as instructed here: Set up a POP email account in Outlook for iOS or Android - Outlook for iOS (microsoft.com). The problem is that when my Go2 is shut down, emails that I get on my phone do not download to my Go2 once I turn it on. Is there any way to make the messages echo to each device? C'mon Microsoft, how about a way to add a natively supported way to add a pop3 account to Outlook for Android without having to hot wire it?

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Google Fi has the Note 20 for $499 and the Note 20 Ultra 5G for $799, no trade in required. I admit in any other year I'd be tempted.

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

John Grisham, here we come. Gotta love it when lawyers talk about jury-rigged. Be it a Freudian slip or an autocorrect, it still says something about their mindset. ;)

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Neither Freudian slip nor autocorrect. "Jury-rigged" vs. "Jerry-rigged" | Dictionary.com

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

My English just improved. Was sure that jerry-rigged was the correct idiom and jury-rigged had to be a rigged jury. That day has already started well.

Bishop and Bronsky like this.