Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

Ah, I remember that ad!

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

FYI folks, DON'T go to Best Buy and play with the Galaxy Fold Z 2 - I actually heard my inner voices saying "how do we justify this one when we get home...can we even go home"

In all seriousness, if this thing had a siloed S-Pen, I'd be looking into a bankruptcy practice right now...

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Did you mean "practice" or filing? :p

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So now we apparently have a new smartphone camera champ the iPhone 12 Pro Max...at least until the S21 comes out.

BTW: He makes his case far less convincing by uninformed spec talk versus showing truly meaningful comparison photos

https://www.theverge.com/21555901/iphone-12-pro-max-review

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  6. dstrauss

Start saving your spare change (better make that $20 bills) because the best companion smartphone may be incoming next June and will be a four digit budget buster: Rumors from 9 to 5 Google: - Galaxy Note to be replaced with Galaxy Fold Z 3

"This report also mentions that Samsung is equipping the Galaxy Z Fold 3 with a silo for the S Pen, just like the Note series has always included. That’s in stark contrast to the Galaxy S21 Ultra which will reportedly support the S Pen but lack a place to store it. With S Pen support on the next Fold, Samsung will also reportedly be using a new UTG cover layer that better resists scratches compared to the (awful) rubber layer on the Fold 2. As reported last week, the device will also be using an under-display camera."

JoeS likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yup, Samsung is already at least as bullish about the fold 3 as Apple was about the M1

8. dstrauss

Let's just hope with equal results...

9. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

CONFESSION:

For all the productivity gain I've had with the SDuo, very little of it is due to the pen. Maybe it's because we're still working remotely, and I'm spending a lot more time at my (home office) desk than I usually do. Maybe it's because the pen isn't physically integrated. Maybe it's still a lack of screen real estate issue. Maybe there still isn't a game changing app/UI. Maybe I don't have to have a pen for the perfect phone companion where the main device supports a pen.

Bottom line is I won't be standing in line to fork over $2K for the GZF3 just because of the pen - in the absence of a compelling app/UI revolution between now and then.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For the more artistic amongst our ranks, The full unfolded screen + spen + Clip Studio Paint = a very compelling device. Being to able to draw and sketch anyway with a more portable solution then a normal tablet is conceptually a great idea. However with the ensuring pandemic, re-lockdowns, and staying at home, the actual need is very very diluted. Like I would have no reason to draw on a Fold 3 at home when I could just as easily use my iPad pro or some other device. Devices like the Duo and the Fold 2/3 would more likely prosper post-covid.

dellaster and JoeS like this.