Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We didn't test for that and the specs we have don't mention it unlike the Velvet specs which did mention that support so my thought is no. However LG is not 100% in that regard so it's possible though the touch sensor and display panel assembly is different between the two as well

bloodycape likes this.
  2. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

You think you could try it?

3. dellaster

dellaster Non-Creative Plebe Senior Member

I just sold my 64GB iPhone 11 Pro with the probable aim of getting the iPhone 12 5.4” on release. I give up on ever-larger & -heavier “phones”. I really missed the easily carried iPhone SE (2016), especially when day hiking. Glad I kept it as backup. It fits in one of the waist strap pockets on my Camelback day hiking hydropack, among other configurations/situations. The Note 8 did not, not even close; the iPhone 11 Pro stretched the seams and was difficult both to squeeze in and pry out. The iPhone 12 5.4” won’t be much larger than my SE and should be fine.

9456BD05-CC40-4ACC-9F46-C21F37FA4167.jpeg

As for the 2x camera lens, or lack thereof, word is that the main camera will be bumped from 12 MP to 24 MP, with better computational photography through the usual software refinement and upgrade to the next gen A14. So digital 2x telephoto (or cropping in post processing) on the iPhone 12 5.4” will likely be at least as good as the optical 2x on my departing iPhone 11 Pro.

How many times do I have to buy, then give up, the big heavy ones? This is my third return to the original iPhone SE. Yeah, this means that I’m bowing out on the Z Fold 3 anticipation. I wouldn’t enjoy carrying it on hikes. A pain in the rear... literally, if I tried to carry it in my back pocket. Any discomfort gets magnified after trekking a dozen miles.

Maybe one day an independent cellular watch—no need to pair with a smartphone—will fill my need. Though I would then have to get a compact camera... I can’t win. :rolleyes:

tl;dr — the best smartphone companion, for me, is a freakin’ smartphone, not a mini-tablet, even if it’s dual-screened or folding or whatever.

P.S.—As expected, the iPhone 11 Pro 64GB sold on Swappa in less than three days for $100 more than Samsung would have given in trade for the new Note, and $350 more than Apple will be giving (judging by what they offered for the equivalent XS for an 11). It pays to go through the trouble and after nine sales over the past five years I have never had a deal go bad there (can’t say the same about selling used on Amazon or Ebay).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Great observations on both points Ted - you're making me think (that hurts you know) - given that A14 it might even be a little more juiced than my iPhone 11 Pro.

5. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

I also find my current phone (~6.2 inch) to big actually to pocket comfortably, but in the length while the width is fine (which I need for notes etc). My Lumia 950 xl in contrast fits better while having wider screen (granted it is also slightly thinner). In that sense I wish they would (re)make something like a blackberry passport.

dellaster likes this.
  6. dellaster

I’m hoping that the iPhone Mini 5.4” is so popular that other companies such as Samsung scurry to bring back proper hand-sized smartphones—along with their gigantic ones, of course. Choice is a good thing.

Edit: At the time I thought the Verizon Icon/Lumia 930 with 5” OLED screen was nearly ideal. It’s interesting to see how the iPhone Mini compares:

Icon: 137 x 71 x 9.8 mm, 5” OLED
    Mini: 131 x 64 x 7.4 mm, 5.4” OLED

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    daddyfish and Bishop like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I when I purchased a Galaxy Note 10, I did not buy the 10+ in spite of my desire to have 5G. Love the size of this thing. But, I use it for far too many things to revert to a smaller screen.

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@bloodycape Sorry, we have already given it back to LG. I sent an email to our primary contact for clarification and I'll let you know when they respond.

bloodycape and yodamiked like this.
  9. dellaster

I think it’s a separate “need” category if we’re talking stylus & note taking. The iPad mini w/pencil, I have found, takes care of that for me since I only want it at certain, predictable times (e.g. walking rounds as a volunteer campground host). For regular daily use I could probably get by fine with a small feature phone if it had the right features. That’s not going to come into existence—think of just the modern camera I’d want—so I will try for the next best thing: a “tiny” by today’s standards iPhone.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Bronsky likes this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I think you are correct about individual need cases but, for me, my phone is with me at all times. It maintains a charge for days at a time. It is small enought to travel in my jeans back pocket. The Mini is too big to be mindlessly toted around. And carrying that pen ...

What has heppened to me is that my use case expanded significantly once I owned a note. I use it for everything. I've been working on my home since Covid and take measurements, mark up paint color choices, etc. I take copious work notes when I am just sitting and a thought crosses my mind that I would miss. Even when I'm on my boat, it is perfect for making punch lists. As much as I loved my old Blackberries and my Nokia, this phone is the best companion I've ever owned.

dstrauss, Marty and dellaster like this.