Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

It doesn't even look that good. And other than from the recent Samsung collaborations, I have no idea who Thom Browne is. I'm guessing I'm some uncultured swine?

As for foldable tablets. What has become of those Dell and Lenovo ones?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

He's at it again...I have had a tech intervention with my daughter and Apple fangirl about all my tech flailing and obsession:
    1. You (dad) do NOT want to leave Windows
    2. You do NOT want to leave iPhone (especially iMessage, FaceTime, and the camera)
    3. You do want to read Apple News+ and Kindle books
    4. Keep the Surface Go 2
    5. Keep the iPhone 11 Pro (until the next iPhone comes along that you really WANT)
    6. Read your texts, answer your calls, and take your pics on the iPhone as you always have
    7. Keep either the iPM 5 or iPP 11 for READING
    8. Sell the other iPad and GB12 to lighten the load
    9. Have a happy(ier) life
    Her point is - Why are you worrying (obsessing) about the best "companion" phone for your computer life? Why is it so important to be able to read and respond to texts, or take phone calls, on your laptop/tablet when the phone is in your pocket or on your desk (point being I am far more likely to not have my laptop/tablet than be without my phone)? Of course, the questions answer themselves and she is right.

In effect there is NO need for a Best Companion Device...because there is no need for SG2 to be dependent upon my iPhone/Android or vice versa. With the new Apple One subscriptions, maybe next year Apple will grace us with a News+ Win10 app (nah, probably not). Regardless, there's just no real reason to have to make everything mesh together as I "assumed" in starting this whole thread - and I DO KNOW what assume means...

dellaster and Bronsky like this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

True, from my own little experience, I think the whole idea of responding to messages or taking calls on your PC is overrated. How many times I've set that up and quickly disabled it because of the constant distraction on notifications and calls. Don't get me wrong, I think there are other benefits especially with the MS Launcher on android because of the ability to seamlessly continue tasks carried over from either device, but calls and messages? Nah!

Sent from my CPH1943 using Tapatalk

desertlap, dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We have one engineer that uses an iPad mini with google voice as his "phone" . He is as big a pen/apple fanatic as they come. He has AirPods (of course) and siri does support answering and making calls via google voice as well.
    Probably not for everyone, but that certainly hasn't stopped any of us here:p:D

dstrauss likes this.
  5. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Your daughter certainly has a level head on her shoulders.
    Forget about calls, I haven’t even set up email on my Q584 since upgrading to Win8.1, nor my X1 Extreme on Linux. Calls on the iPhone, text & email on it or my iPad mini. Why spread it out to other devices when they’re all right here within a few feet of each other?! :p

dstrauss likes this.
  6. dstrauss

You are right on both counts Ted - smarter than her father and WHY do I really need those distractions on multiple devices within arms reach of each other. In fact, it is rare that I am at a keyboard for ANY device that my phone is not within reach.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting point. I'm just the opposite. It absolutely is job related but I have to deal with a whole range of alerts across multiple platforms. It's not just basic text and email, but teams, slack and gmail as well.

Additionally, while I always have access to a device, at any given time of the day it will vary and more often than not, the only device that is easy to access is the one I have in my hand.

The old horses for courses argument.

The one thing it has done is made me religious about ongoing management of all the potential alerts. The above are bad enough, but it seems that every app you install now days has its own alerts as well. By default I am "just say no" unless I have a very specific and urgent need otherwise.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    dstrauss likes this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I actually like getting my messages on the big screen when the Go2 is docked. The only messages I get are my kids though, so its no big deal. Nobody gets my cell phone #. If they do, I have to have cousin Tony pay them a visit.:vbcool:

P.S. - to avoid people getting my cell # I occasionally call my office and have my cell patched into a call from the office landline.

Marty likes this.
  9. dstrauss

And I suppose your calls and internet connections route through multiple worldwide server farms...

Bronsky likes this.
  10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Did you explain the part where an entire forum would implode if you ever became satisfied? :vbbiggrin:

The daily dose of dstraussing is a serious medical dependency/condition that sustains many a geek on the interwebs, my friend.

nnthemperor, Bronsky, Steve S and 3 others like this.