Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hmmm-sure hope Samsung is generous again next year to let me upgrade to your Note Fold - would be embarrassing to be stuck with an EOL device.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The only reason I wonder if this might not be true is the financial side of things. I mean, the Note line is pretty much (I know not exactly, but still) the same phone released 6 months later at full price.

Like if they get rid of the Note, they'll release a new Galaxy S in say February, and then by August the price is typically down about $200-300 which is lost profit. But if they recycle most of the Galaxy S design into the Note, then they get to charge the full price on that device for a few more months. Sort of double dipping in the R&D costs a little bit.

But of course I also have no idea if Samsung sells enough of the Note or saves enough on that cost for it to make sense going forward.

Bishop likes this.
  3. dstrauss

It is a little better than just double-dipping because it follows the iPhone model - the Note is almost like an iPhone "s" model cleaning up errors in the base design (slow autofocus fixed by adding laser focus; reducing zoom from 100x to a better 50x) and then adding the S Pen and generally better camera performance the Note series is known for.

However, even better for Samsung, they get the kick from Note in same annual cycle as you suggested, keeping ASP up a bit longer.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't know the margins on the Note line, but they have told us that the S line outsells the note line by almost 3-1. The primary purpose of the note originally was as a way to introduce new tech to the overall line and "something new to face off with the iPhone"

My guess is that the fold-note will fill that role going forward.

PS: I also wonder if Qualcomms product cycle plays a role here too, The next gen chips comes with the new s models and then the note usually has a slightly tweaked version of that same basic chip as in this year.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

dstrauss likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Loving the improvements to S Note. It has replaced One Note for certain uses. The only issue is that a cursor has appeared which is largely unneeded.

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Verizon's take on the SPen on the Tab S7. Did they forget something?

[​IMG]

9. dstrauss

Must have been a law review editor

Bronsky and Bishop like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

You know that Thom Browne bundle? If I was going to spend that kind of money on a phone bundle I´d rather get it with a 12" foldable screen and attached foldable keyboard that with a little bit of effort might go into @Mesosphere cargo pants pocket, and then connecting with DEX to the Note 20, wouldn´t even ask for the Ultra.

Who knows, I might even enjoy it a little extra getting it in and out of his pocket.

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.