Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious what was his usecase, lots of data entry/tabulation?

I wonder if the dual/folding screen revolution also needs to be accompanied by a fundamental revolution in data presentation.

For example the notebook/tablet UX descends from the 'page' paradigm that humans used for centuries in ~8-10" or larger books.

The mobile phone UX adopted the 'scrolling list' format for rapid data/feed viewing. This is where the small single-screen form factor is most natural in the hand.

The dual/folding screen phone sits in between, perhaps looking to carve out a niche as the 'pocketbook'? Similar to a Moleskine address book:

[​IMG]

A handy reference you can pull out for quick viewing and entry, that's less than a book, but more than a list/role of info.

Fascinating way of looking at human UX development. :)

Bishop likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Marty, you always ask the interesting questions.:p:D

He, as does as the majority of our customers a lot of data analysis, and data collection devices are our primary devices, usually contain things like a FLIR camera or movement or emissions sensors. And he uses the phone to grab the data from our devices and do quick a dirty analysis of it in the field.

However, he's also part of a startup and spends an equal or greater time pitching his company to financial types for funding or customers to but their services and again uses the fold a for his "2 minute pitch"

And yes you could argue that's a niche, but if a device can hit enough of them, it's a success.

PS: One telling clue related your point is that the vast majority of video I've seen of usage shows horizontal or book like ways of holding it. A definite shift from the vertical Smartphone paradigm we have now.

dstrauss and Marty like this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

My use case on the folding phone is more akin to a more portable tablet. No matter how you tailor the data to the display limitations of a phone, there are certain things you can't address without a larger screen. I'm thinking of annotation, reading schematics, graphics and document review generally. I know I'm quibling now, but it would be nice to have that capability and not have to tote along a tablet. While the 1.7lbs if the Go 2 won't kill me, it would be nice to be able to leave that extra device at home or the office. All I would need to be productive would be a folding keyboard tucked away in the glovebox somewhere or backpack if I was traveling. Something like my old palm pilot keyboard.
    [​IMG]

4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Just watched this video. Fascinating. Samsung is showing the Fold2 in semi-clamshell mode just like SDuo. Ironicallly, I think it makes you focus on the lack of screen real estate. I think I saw several instances where the fold in the screen ran side to side, where most videos of Fold1 only showed the fold running top to bottom. If I were retired and out of corporate life, a Fold 3 with SPen could be a contender.

5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Man, I had one of those. Caught so much crap when setting it up to take notes on a Palm Pilot during meetings. And that was catching crap from people who have slide ruler or calculator holsters on their belts.

This was one of the best pieces of work Microsoft ever did, the Universal Folding Keyboard. Supported PC, iOS and Android. Mine still works and may make it back into the travel bag to go with the SDuo for long document creation:

[​IMG]

Bronsky likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ditto guys - here's one from Amazon that really is a good small solution that I have tucked away in the bag and includes a serviceable trackpad (eg - Thurrott and Rubino would not find it acceptable) - best of all $35:

[​IMG]

This, plus wireless DeX if I ever go on the road again, could be a useful solution...

Bishop likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Jesus, I sure hope my road days are behind me. I'm thinking more like some light work from the deck of a sailboat on the Cheseapeak.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    jnjroach, dstrauss and Bishop like this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wuss....

Bronsky likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

10. Bronsky

I always thought the S and SNote series were duplicative. The Note version of the S is a natural evolution, particularly with the production of a Note Fold. The S21Ultra will likely be larger than my Note 10 with a state of the art SOC and 5G. If you need something bigger, the obvious place to go is the Note Fold. There is no longer any point to a separate SNote series. Bye bye.:hi:

My guess is that my next phone is an SPen Fold 5G.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020