Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

hmm...thats very interesting...I actually find it alittle odd that 70% of the Fold Purchasers were formerly Note users, I mean given the Fold doesn't have a pen and the pen is the main draw of the Note line. I guess that should speak more to how little the S-pen must mean to a large portion of Note users who can clearly do without the pen. In which case Samsung dropping the Note Brand is clearly a logical path for them.

As far as the engineering issue you describe, that I think would lend to the possibility of shifting from EMR to AES. AES doesn't have the magnetic weakness's that effect the pens tracking/hovering, and not having to have a separate EMR panel would be easier for the fold aspect. Also from my understanding of EMR tech, the digitizer panel's themselves require shielding...and since the Fold 3 would technically need to have 3 separate EMR digitizer panels. (1 out, 2 in), the interference is no doubt from having so many panels especially when the device is folded and all 3 digitizers essentially stack upon each other. It just seems AES would be alot easier to engineer a penabled Fold 3 around.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Imagine this with an S Pen - NO AES! - jump to 00:45 to see their idea of multi-window multi-tasking...MY KINGDOM FOR AN S PEN WITH THIS BEAUTY.

Couldn't be any clearer that you have a front facing phone AND tablet in one device...

With this I will stop polluting this thread and go to my new one generic to any combination of smartphone and tablet/2-in-1: Best Smartphone and Tablet/2-in-1 Combination

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

4. dstrauss

5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Shades of Galaxy Note 7 :vbeek:

Steve S likes this.
  6. dstrauss

You'll do ANYTHING to push Duo sales...:rolleyes:

7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Nah. One narrow screen vs. Fold or Duo are just 2 different categories. No point in beating that horse.

Actually, I'm thinking the plain ole GN20 prematurely got a bad rap.:vbconfused:

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The handful of customers that we have with a fold actually gives some validation to the idea of dual screens like what the duo has done. In other words where possible many are using them essentially in a split screen configuration in addition to usage as one large screen.

The significant limitation I've been told repeatedly is the lack of support in android itself as well as apps to run well in that configuration .

In fact one customer who's opinion I respect said that he originally purchased for "the large screen you could still put in your pocket" but that didn't work as well in the real world as he expected and that in most cases where he needed a bigger display he ended up just pulling out his laptop.

OTOH the multitasking option was a surprise benefit. He thinks he will probably skip the Fold 2 unless their is some major feature that hasn't leaked yet, but he's likely all in for the Fold 3.

PS: I'm once again trending Duo positive today :D:p

nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  9. dstrauss

Is there a rapid test for that?

bloodycape likes this.
  10. dstrauss

I think they should have followed the formula from last year and made the GN20 the size of the GN10. That GN10 is not much bigger than my 11 Pro - much more pocketable and one-hand friendly.