Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

True for both shortcomings though, personally, the camera works well enough for Office Lens duties & the battery lasts me a typical business hours day. Still, it saves me carrying both a phone and a notetaker. Choose what works I'd say. For SGD$300 - I really have nothing to be complaining about.

I'm still using a work Surface 3. Admittedly work issues me a Thinkpad and an HP as well for supporting various agencies but that Surface 3 is still my workhorse. Would be nice to have all EMR-supported machines, ya?

Argh!

dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

So has anyone with a reservation jumped on the GN 20/20U yet? Mine says I have until 8/20, but the choices of accessories to use with your additional $200 credit is shrinking fast.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Keeping competition alive is always a great move.

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Samsung has just extended its OS updates to 3 years instead of 2 on its newer devices, starting with the Note 10 (whew!). https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-reportedly-partnering-arm-and-amd-beat-qualcomm (scroll to second article down). Sammie probably just pushed my duo or fold ownership out another year.

The other news in the posted article is interesting as well. By the time I get to the fold, it'll probably have a processor more powerful than my M3. If I could only solve my software issues, I could probably do away with a tablet and go with a foldable phone only. The mythical one device solution.:newpalm:

6. desertlap

About dang time too! This was really hurting them in the corporate market. Not quite iPhone level, but enough to hit the common 3 year replacement cycle in those companies.

I also think the duo could be the "rising tide that lifts all boats " for android. Not only does MS appear to have upped their game with their own apps and software, but the amount of MS code in Android 11 around things like dual screens and power management make me hopeful that 3rd party developers will respond in kind.

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Me thinks Samsung is actually considering purchasing ARM, Masayoshi Son, owner of SoftBank, has indicated that he might willing to sell ARM. He is of Korean descent so he knows how to tease them to get a higher price.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Well, it's a companion for a Samsung Book Flex 13 (not a s Surface device), but I've put in a pre-order for the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 512gb, with a discounted bundle of a Galaxy Watch 3 (45mm BT only) and Galaxy Buds. The thought process:
    • Great discounts ($650 for my iPhone 11 plus $200 accessory credits and a $60 bundling discount)
    • S Pen siloed in my Note and Flex 13, and both work great with the two GB12 full size pens I have - ADMISSION - the love of WACOM EMR overcame everything else, and can't believe how much I enjoy note taking on the Flex 13
    • Top tier specs across the board
    • Link to Windows and Samsung Flow integrate with the Flex 13 better than any pairing I've read
    • Read and heard that wireless DeX is a pretty solid experience
    • Update - forgot 5g (including mm wave) - already in Amarillo, Lubbock, and Abilene so expected here this time next year
    • The iPad Pro 11 (LTE) and Apple Watch 4 (LTE) are headed to eBay heaven to help pay for my latest craze
    The Surface Duo was extremely tempting, since I fell in love with the Courier concept from the first time I saw the video in 2009, but the universal S Pen experience across devices, plus next year's battle between Duo 2.0 and Galaxy Fold 3 with S Pen, will be much closer to the product I really want. The GN20U will hopefully liberate me from the clutches of Apple - BUT the veterans around here know the last time I tried this the Galaxy Note 7 was recalled by Homeland Security...

So I'll be watching all you Duo pioneers from the sideline with a lot of interest and curiosity...but at least we'll all be swapping Android stories - @Bronsky send me your tips and tricks memo before you trade that GN10 in on your Duo! Post them over at Galaxy Note 20 and 20 Ultra.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  9. desertlap

I think Nvidia is the far more likely buyer and that may be a negotiating tactic. ARM is uniquely suited to their core graphics business as well.

However I think Steve Jobs might reincarnate if Samsung ended up owning ARM. It would be akin to back in the day MS somehow securing the right to Macintosh and offering to sell it to Apple for $150 a license

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  10. desertlap

JoeS likes this.