Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I can see me getting the Go 2. Whether I step over to the Neo will depend (in part on how much I like the Go 2).

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I had an Atrix and lapdock. I'm typing this on a Nexdock 2 driven by my Note 9 right now. My Note 9 (512GB version) has more storage and RAM than any of the many laptops I have, though most of my collection is classic thinkpads. I also got a generic compute stick so I can run Windows on the Nexdock if I want.

However, I still get loads of use out of my Galaxy Tab A 9.7 With S Pen (fun name), my yogabook, and my big iPad. But each has it's own use. Most of my writing needs are larger than the phone screen can comfortably display (not going to read orchestra music off a stand on a phone, my homeschool lesson plan charts are big), so the other tablets still have plenty of place in the lineup.

But, most of my computing needs can be comfortably handled by Android at this point. I'm typing this on my Nexdock, on the Tapatalk app which resizes nicely in Dex, driven by the Note 9. I'm currently using Edge on Android as my browser, and Outlook for email. Some things are easier to do in an app, some things are easier to do on the webpage, and some things are still a bit awkward. But for the most part, my phone can do it. The screen is nice, and the keyboard is acceptable (said as someone who prefers classic thinkpads.) Battery life is great. I can go all day (but my day is greatly interrupted, so it may not be all day for normal folks) and still come out of it with a fully charged phone.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. I kept meaning to post about it, as I got it in the first round of Kickstarted shipments, but it had a flakey port and had to be sent back to be fixed. It works wonderfully now. It makes a fine companion to a smartphone.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tams, Cuberdon75, djas and 1 other person like this.
  3. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I mean, the Sony doesn't have a built-in EMR stylus.

If it did though... *drools*

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Verge Review of the new S20 Ultra
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/27/...ltra-review-5g-screen-camera-space-zoom-price

I'm really skeptical of several things in the review including his unqualified approval of the 12Ohz refresh rate. I'm not saying it doesn't have benefits ,but our own experience is that in phone displays it's difficult for most people to tell the difference. OTOH on a 27 inch QHD display running windows it's a lot more tangible.

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Hey, TCL made a prototype of what should become the Surface Z! Now that's what I'm talking about. Just a tad thick when folder, but I'll take it! :)

upload_2020-3-7_11-44-34.png

6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

One cool thing is the weight balance allows the phone to 'self-prop', which I honestly never imagined using a folding phone like:

[​IMG]

And it's apparently even stable enough to support touch interaction:

[​IMG]

@1:00 of Verge's video:

Quite impressive!

JoeS likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The Galaxy Fold is back! with the game-changer we've all been waiting for...

A recent leak from Ross Young confirms S-pen support on the Fold 2 (via TabletMonkeys):

(Twitter)
    "Galaxy Fold 2 Leak cont.
    •Notch/Hole/UPC – They wanted to go with an under panel camera, but it isn't ready yet. Will be a punch hole.
    Pen Input: Yes, will have the S-Pen. Fits in with the Note Series and enhances the tablet experience."

Other specs include:

"Main Display
    Size: 7.59”
    Resolution: 2213 x 1689
    DPI: 372
    Refresh Rate: 120Hz
    Backplane Technology: LTPO"

"Front Display
    Size: 6.23”
    Resolution: 2267 x 819
    Refresh Rate: 60Hz
    Backplane Technology – LTPS
    Notch/Hole/UPC – Hole"

And the 'Ultra Thin Glass' makes a return from the Galaxy Z Flip:

"Cover Window – UTG with cover film. UTG is back. It still needs a cover to protect it from impact which could be a potential safety hazard. Let's hope one of the new hard coats with excellent scatch resistance is adopted."

Dammit no more money for tablets lol, time to start saving $2.5k just for my next phone... :p

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok, this seems to be falling under the radar given everything else going on, but is actually quite significant to this crowd. If this is accurate, it will be the first time that Samsung is using it's own processor in a flagship in major markets and not just ones where using Qualcomm is problematic for other reasons.

https://apple.news/Av1h7EiSjN3mf58J8vyMjzw

A couple of comments related to this. To date, Exynos chips have lagged in certain benchmarks compared to comparable Qualcomm chips.

However in certain raw measures of compute performance they have met or beaten Qualcomm. The fact that they have lagged Qualcomm on phones may be partially down to Android being better optimized for Qualcomm. Support for that theory comes both from some tests of Huawei custom chips in their Chinese market phones and tests the some of our partners have shared with us with custom Linux builds. The differences aren't huge (10-20%)but...

You have to think though that Samsung looks at apple and wonders why they can't do the same? Additionally the high cost of the 865 is one reason for the generally high price of the latest android flagships in some cases such as the Samsung Ultra exceeding Apple devices.

No real conclusions for me yet, but interesting regardless.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    nnthemperor and djas like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My bet is the US is "one of those countries" getting the 865..

"According to a recent report the Note 20 will be getting an upgraded Exynos 992 processor over the 990 processor used in the S20, we are also expecting the handset to have the Snapdragon 865 in some countries."

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Bronsky - better start putting that butter and egg money aside for your next big purchase - at least CNet thinks the Galaxy Fold 2 gets the S Pen and a near 8" unfolded screen!

Kumabjorn and Bronsky like this.