Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd buy that.
    Haha, I knew I'd have buyer's remorse buying the Fold, but at least I'll have another piece of significant/more interesting tech history (to add to my growing collection of the N900, 808 PureView, and Note Edge).

If Wacom's own standalone hardware is anything to go by... that Android version of the Mobile Studio was terribly supported and a brick. The Windows Mobile Studios are bricks. HP showed that there was no need for them to be that big.
    It makes me wonder if the reason why many companies have abandoned Wacom EMR is because Wacom are a pain in the arse to work with and leave a lot of the work for EMR to the manufacturers (while likely still charging too much). Samsung have little choice with the Note line, and if they've already put the work in there, then using it in their other products makes sense. That and owning a share in Wacom.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    nnthemperor and Lilawyn like this.
  2. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

Now *that's* my dream pocket machine. Forget the Duo.

Lilawyn likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting conversation with one of our consultants who was a long time MS guy until he retired.

He thinks that people are underestimating what a significant product the Duo will be both for the market in general as well as Microsoft. He thinks they are borrowing the Apple approach a bit by only having a single product at launch which allows them to hone and fine tune much more than a multi-device launch would.

Additionally the openness such as publishing the proposed UI design for working with dual screens and the active courting of software and hardware partners is higher than he can remember. (As a side note, MS has even been quite solicitous of us with assistance even though we are the epitome of niche)

And when you add in all the tech and IP that MS still holds from the Nokia acquisition and he thinks they are uniquely poised to take over the upper end of the Android phone market. He claims (no verification) that they think that they could pass Google in device sales within a year.

So again these are obviously his speculations and theories, but it got me thinking at least and changed my thinking, since I was way more intrigued by the NEO after the announcement.

Now we just have to wait until October (he thinks it will launch at an event in that month).

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wow - only 9 months to wait - how many more devices can I try before then...:eek::rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see which drops first - the rumored Galaxy Note Fold or Surface Duo. That could be an epic battle -

[​IMG]

I still think this hinges on the success of the Neo - if Microsoft delivers a good working laptop alternative in that svelte Neo package, then they become the dynamic duo of devices (maybe at nosebleed prices). Otherwise, I wonder if the Duo will have the gravitas alone to top the premium Android list as against the entrenched Galaxy Note, especially if the GNF gets that 108 mpxl screen with 5x optical zoom. Got to give Samsung and Microsoft props however; at least they aren't plodding along like my overlords at Apple with iPhone development...

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Actually, there are some forward-thinking tech reviewers that understand the potential impact of the Duo above the generic 'foldable' hype:

Dave2D is quick to point out how MS is creating tight developer guidelines for dual-screen UX (very 'Apple-like' as you said), all to ensure a smooth, intuitive and practical multi-tasking experience that Android currently lacks.

This is very significant as MS will position itself as the industry's de-facto 'UX-lead', much as Apple did with the original iPhone.

So rather than being competitors, I think these will actually have a synergistic effect. Microsoft's device will be focused on side-by-side productivity and be used as the primary development platform, thus strengthening the foundation of the Android ecosystem.

Samsung's device will expose this renewed ecosystem to a large market, through its global advertising and the strength of the Galaxy/Note branding.

It's win-win. :D

djas and dstrauss like this.
  6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

A Galaxy Note Fold and the Neo would be somewhat different devices. The Neo looks to be a bit more cumbersome small tablet (but still very portable), while a Galaxy Note Fold would surely be like the Galaxy Fold, just a somewhat bulky smartphone. I think the use of N-trig (or whatever they're calling it now) will not help the Neo, but if it's already a little cumbersome, then it might not make much of a difference.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Something that might be of interest if you're looking forward to 5G:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sc...il&date=020720&utm_campaign=nl19374871&src=nl

It appears to me that what's being described here is antenna arraying; using several simple antennas in a group to produce a very sharply directive antenna beam. Different groups of antennas on the green panels would "aim" (beamform) at each user within range. The thousands of antennas would be used to form hundreds of send / receive beams...

8. desertlap

I will admit that I don't always care for The Verge either editorially or especially their reviews. However this article this morning gets one thing right. The launch of the S20 really is the first mainstream moment for 5G. I don't think it's a make or break moment, but it is extremely important in how the public at large views 5G in the near term.

If they get it right, Samsung has the opportunity to essentially define the discussion and establish themselves even more as the "flagship " for Android and thus the alternative to Apple for 90% of consumers.

And of course the dark horse in this is Microsoft with the Duo. Either they are being smart by declaring 5G is not ready but not having it in the Duo from launch or will be seen as missing yet another opportunity to lead once again.

I honestly don't know myself and am equally parts hopeful and skeptical.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/10/...gon-865-5g-tmobile-att-verizon-sprint-network

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I haven't read it yet, but first thought on the title is that I very much doubt this is a "Make or break moment" for 5G. What, if the S20 doesn't perform well, 5G will be scrapped? :rolleyes:

dstrauss likes this.
  10. desertlap

Agreed, The point more should have been about if this will accelerate or impede it and the public perception.

A better analogy would be that this will serve as the 5G coming out party

5G is inevitable regardless :eek:

JoeS likes this.