Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

[​IMG]

3. Bishop

I've concluded I'd have to keep an earpiece in 70%+ of the time to use it as a phone. Not quite willing to go there yet.

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. Bishop

Did you by chance order the magnetic cover shown on Amazon with it? I'm considering getting it and gluing a Leuchtterm pen loop on to keep the GB 12 pen handy.

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So I was just thinking, given that you seem quite enamored with your new GTA8, what do you say to the possibility of an LTE-enabled Neo being the answer?

Yes there is no silo, but instead of hoping Office on Android gets magically better, at least we can pin our hopes on Windows X running on x86 Lakefield hardware. And with MS' renewed commitment to OneNote desktop, you can run all your favorite inking apps with no compromises.
    [​IMG]
    The Neo folds to a 9" form factor, not so much larger than your ideal 8" moleskine, and at 2x5.6mm thick, it is comparable to the GTA8's 8.9mm.

So by all appearances, it'll be the cross compatible-pen, single-OS, two-device solution we've all been looking for, no? ;)

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I bought the Spigen cover - but I've read up on it in several places and the P205 does not wake with the cover of any kind. Apparntly lacks a proximity sensor for that.

Yes, in fact I'm already on record for saving the $3000-$3500 I estimate the pair will cost (Neo + Duo), or may just save some coin and stick with the iPhone 11 Pro. In fact, since a lot of my work involves two documents open at the same time, the Neo concept will work as well for me as a single folding screen like the ThinkPad Fold, possibly even better for its slimness and sturdiness.

Marty and nnthemperor like this.
  7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm right behind you senior comrade, but that $3,000 & $3,500 preposition isn't giving me much confidence. Not with daughters entering college this year. I just hope you're overshooting.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

8. dstrauss

More likely shooting myself in the foot...after a weekend of Wacom EMR goodness (again) I am wondering what the h*** the Duo would give me, other than more screen real estate in a smaller cooler looking footprint. I am astounded with the quality this Galaxy Tab A 8 offers at $285. Obviously Wacom EMR is not a price impediment to Windows vendors - maybe Samsung is restraining it, but there is NO EXCUSE we have to put up with this N-Trig crap - NONE!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Tams, nnthemperor and Bishop like this.
  9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Despite his ranting, we all know who is the biggest Surface fan. ;)

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. dstrauss

Do I like Surface designs, in general - yes, they are Apple-like in design, but not necessarily innards.

Do I rant - profusely.

Am I the biggest Surface fan - nice try @Marty - NO
    • Switch from Wacom (SP2) to N-Trig was a MAJOR mistake
    • Stubbornly refusing to adopt Thunderbolt 3
    • Pricing hardware at Apple-like prices with less than leading edge specifications
    • For $285 I can have an 8" Galaxy Tab A (P205) with Wacom EMR (S-Pen with silo), 4g LTE, expandable storage, all of Microsoft's Office apps
    The Neo and Duo "dynamic duo" offer more hope in these areas, but still inferior N-Trig technology and no Thunderbolt 3 (that may be asking too much for the Neo to deliver). Most of all, I hope they upgrade their Android apps to iOS quality - but will we see a $300 analog to that GTA8?

Bishop and JoeS like this.