Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's gonna cost an arm and a leg, be maybe a kidney too. In that case I'd have to choose one of them.

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk

2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

So, I'm not a responsible adult or parent? I mean, I'm partially kidding, but really? I'm conducting life just fine without demanding that the person I need to share information with drop whatever they're doing so they can pay attention to me right now.

I also spent a lot of my professional life teaching private violin lessons and would never answer a call while teaching. Whatever you need to tell me is not more important than the kid standing in front of me, who deserves my full attention while they play for me. I asked the parents in my studio to text me. I could glance at the notification on the phone to see that the next student was running late without having to interrupt the current lesson.

If you want to talk in person, I'll leave the kids with my husband and we can get coffee sometime. But a phone call doesn't create a stronger personal connection for me, it just stresses me out to have to drop whatever I'm doing (which is always about a million things at once, including schoolwork with kids who can't work independently yet, or active cooking where things will burn if I step away to take a spam call from the Chinese consulate) switch gears mentally to whatever the person on the phone wants, then get back into what I was actually trying to get done.

I clearly also have some feelings on this topic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dstrauss and lovelaptops like this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks @Bronsky. Phew, though it might've been primarily a voice app, and I would have had to say: "never mind." (Source: Emily Litella/Gilda Radner SNL circa 1979 - for all you folk who only communicate by text!)

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I hear you. There is definitely a "too busy to talk now" exemption" IMHO. Ironically, I've always thought of speaking by phone as a concession to busy-Ness that still allows some intimate connection. No offense intended.

nnthemperor and violajack like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

A lawyer without a phone makes as much sense as a hooker with a bra.

If the Tab 8 came with a more modern configuration it might not be a bad idea.
    As for changing your mind; I'm just happy you are enough of a man to embrace your feminine side.

The art of multitasking is the art of prioritizing. That is why CEOs still need administrative assistants.

6. djas

djas Graffiti User

I reckon the Tab A series is always meant to be low tiered or mid tiered devices. The The Tab S series is where the high end options at.

Honestly, I have always been comfortable with Samsung tablets in the Android world, primarily due to their S Pen. I have no complaints.

As for telephony: Yes, always on the phone and taking notes at the same time, all on the P-205.

Very liberating as an EWC.

Lastly, wishing everyone a great Chinese New Year. May this year of the rat brings bountiful rewards and more great devices.

Bishop and nnthemperor like this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Experienced.

dstrauss likes this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

[​IMG]

Kumabjorn, dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

WOW. Three and one-half years, 3260 posts, and we still don't have an answer. What I have learned in all this time:
    • For me, a smartphone screen is just too small for effective note taking
    • 8" is the best alternative
      • Corollary 1 - pens attached by magnets or loops suck
      • Corollary 2 - non-EMR pens generally suck - exceptions Surface Pen and Wacom Bamboo Ink
      • Corollary 3 - Apple Pencil 2 is second only to Wacom EMR (specifically S-Pen tech)
    • The iPad Mini is just too slippery and noisy (tap tap tap); even iPad Pro is a bit noisy
    • Bring on the folding devices
      • With smaller bezels, the upcoming Duo would be my go to given decent performance despite no silo
      • Hopefully Samsung will copy this with an S-Pen in the silo on one-half
      • Galaxy Fold is a valiant effort, but seems to need two more iterations at least
    So it's only been two days, but settling in pretty well with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 (P205). SILO, SILO, SILO, SILO - I can't say it enough. The S-Pen lags just a bit, but is so smooth and quiet on the screen it is EQUAL to pen on paper. For longer sessions, the full size pen from my GB12 works great. Performance, for what is described as a low to mid-tier device, is really very good. All of the Office apps runs smooth and plenty fast; OneNote and Outlook are good (but a bit cludgy - e.g. the ribbon/menus take up 1/4 of the whole screen in landscape mode). AND the price is great - $285 - did I also mention it is a phone? iPad Min 5 is going to eBay heaven shortly...

MS - you have to step up your game on Android - the iOS versions crush them, and Duo will fail without this.

Bishop, Tams and nnthemperor like this.
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I concur on all points, 'cept I can't speak "intelligently" about the iPad. The size of the Tab A makes it quite easy to hold an 8" device in one hand.
    Did I tell you guys, I experimented on it as a phone for two whole days when my daughter took my GN8, almost pulled it off, but for the fact that I was coming from it's younger sibling with more features and the fact that my pants fit has changed to tight fit from the free fit I used to wear. Dang changing fashion trend and aging

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk