Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I've been toying with that idea, thinking of bringing only my LTE Apple Watch for the day to day. Main downsides: I wouldn't have a good camera with me, and I wouldn't be able to initiate WhatsApp messages. I think I did it once, and the withdrawal symptoms were just too strong. :eek:

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

If only.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@Kumabjorn - I don't know if this would make sense, but the Galaxy Tab A 8 (P205) I'm trying out is a tablet with full GSM telephone support - $285 USD. Here's the thread if interested: Samsung SM-P200/P205 (Tab A with S-Pen, 2019)

Haven't tried as a telephone and may not, but a headphone would do the trick without looking like holding a ping pong paddle to your head.

PS - what does it make me if I change my mind more often than ANYONE I know????

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

The varied experiences of people with cellphones is fascinating to me. I run my business through my phone, and I take and make calls all day. It's 100% an absolutely essential thing to me. Yes, I calendar and use OneNote and view Dropbox docs and check the weather too. But even when I've had a tablet that did all those things, I had to have a phone too, for calls. It blows my mind that someone else has an experience where they're not really receiving calls on their phone anymore..... Neat! 8)

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I only make phone calls as a last resort and will only answer a call if it's coming from my mom, and she texts me now. Everything else is declined and sent to voicemail. If you leave a voicemail and it's important, I'll follow up with a text or email. I have three young children at home. I can be interrupted a million times in the course of a text reply and it doesn't matter. Those same million interruptions make phone calls impossible.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

nnthemperor and Tams like this.
  6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

So, I was going to make more of a song and a dance of this, but I caved a couple of months ago and got a Fold. If you're going to take my 3.5mm socket, then I'm going all in.

Anyway, to cut it short, I really like it. The front screen is a tad too small, but if it was much bigger it would be a right pain up the arse. As it is, it's just a little too small to comfortably and accurately type on, but it does get the job done. I measured it up with my Sony XZ1 compact and they could, possibly, have squeezed the extra centimetre or so of display in. Perhaps an extra three or so millimetres in width could have done it without sacrificing one-handed usability.

As for Ars Technica, I almost rate them as low as The Verge. One writer there has always taken a dump on Nintendo, no matter what they do, in his articles and even after being called out in the comments has refused to even acknowledge that he might be biased and wrong. I think he might have gotten my old account banned there as well (but then again, I used to be a very vocal little sh*t).

If I could take a paddle to some Japanese phone carrier executives' heads...
    Even when I got my fold, I had to go to my carrier's website and jump through some hoops to get network access on my new phone. I was naïve enough to think that in five years, they'd have made it so that it would out of the box... I mean, before I came to Japan, I was able to do just that since about 2007 in the UK.

As for young people seemingly living their lives through their phones, for sure. Although I'm just as guilty, though I do try and peel myself away. However, as almost everyone else is still glued to their phones, the world outside of them seems... emptier.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    dstrauss and nnthemperor like this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Admittedly, this subject has struck a nerve in me!

This seems to be a combination of a generational, professional and personal thing. Personally, I initiate and answer a large number of phone calls every day. For business and personal "administrative" purposes (eg, dealing with health matters, car service, insurance, etc) my life would be at a standstill without voice telephony. There are times when text and email are a godsend and the only way to communicate efficiently, leave a record, do things quickly, etc, but in other cases, I truly don't understand how a responsible adult - much less a parent - could conduct a responsive and responsible life without getting some things done in real time by voice. For personal communications with important family, friends and professional associates, I likewise can't imagine losing the richness of real time interaction by voice (just having to say "by voice" sounds like a silly redundancy when speaking of personal communication or interaction) and would never want to.

My kids (26 and 28) never place or answer calls and I don't leave them voice mails because they never check them - even though visual voice mail is just like text! When my son was diagnosed with cancer and this didn't change it added immense anxiety to me, my wife, and, though he seemed oblivious to it, to his optimal medical care. The quality of my interactions with my kids is extremely low when they are not visiting or when we occasionally Facetime or have a phone call. They don't seem to know how diluted our relationship is by the lack of real human contact.

I can say that without text and email I would waste a lot of time and might not even be in contact with people I really don't want to waste time speaking with, but with whom "digital contact" allows us to do business or keep certain tasks flowing. On the other hand, without voice (and now video) phone calling which, fortunately, all of the people in my life over 35 and 100% of my close friends use much as we have all of our lives, the richness of friendships and family relationships would be diminished to the point that it would surely become very isolating and depressing.

What different ways of relating to people and life we seem - among us in the TPCR family - to practice! Ironic because this community is so tight knit and warm without voice contact, yet to me it has always had a one-dimensionality to it, and it I guess is why, as much as I value many of you and the tech and other support you have provided. over time, I don't know if I can call you "friends" in the traditional sense - though I feel very warmly towards many of you, and we do go outside the realm of tech talk at times; you adds immeasurably to my life :). I'm not sure the metaphor carries through to an online forum such as TPCR, by nature a textual communication medium and one which in its unique case among all other forums I participate in, a high point of my recreational time.:):) (Note to self: pm some people and ask if they wish to exchange phone numbers.:D)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Bishop and djas like this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sorry, but what does "LINE" mean? duh

9. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Tams and nnthemperor like this.
  10. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Xodo is another one that has come of age.

Sent from my F2 using Tapatalk

Bronsky, dstrauss and djas like this.