Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I don't think I can do it - know myself too well - but the idea is to limit the P205 to OneNote, Outlook, and Chrome. It will be hard to resist Office, and I know I'll load it for opening attachments (since I'm loading Outlook anyway), but I really just want a moleskine in disguise. In a couple of years, after Galaxy Fold 3 comes out with an 8" flexible glass display, S-Pen, and a color e-ink external display, I will give up this whole madness and finally switch to Samsung full time, as I should have back at the Galaxy Note 7 point - until they demanded it back.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It's amazing how long this thread has remained active and relevant.

nnthemperor, djas and JoeS like this.
  3. dstrauss

I want to modify my reply to @nnthemperor above - if the Neo and Duo are anything like the demos we got last year, the move may happen this Xmas - looking at your signature I really wish for the discipline of having a solid two device solution like you have; maximum portability for all purposes, but solid performance in the office.

Microsoft - DON'T SCREW IT UP!

PS - my guess that is at LEAST a $3,000-$3,500 decision ahead...better start saving my pennies...

nnthemperor and Bronsky like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, trying not to get my hopes up too much, but the Neo is looking to be the closest to my "dream device" since I started in with tablets. I just hope its not as half baked or as premature as the Pro X turned out to be.

dstrauss and Bronsky like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Early feature request: make it possible for Word to show the document on the left, and the review comments and edit balloons on the right screen. Please lobby for me :)

Obviously I'm already thinking how I could possibly rationalize buying a device with an impractical divider down the middle.. :D

Bronsky likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd go even further and history will be the judge, but I think it's "a noble failure". Sometimes a company has to get something radically new out there and "go first" as it were.

People have short memories, but I think that Apple learned a heck of a lot from the Newton, a lot of it painful, but it also paved the way for the iPhone. Even with Jobs desire to kill off anything the Sculley had a hand in.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    dstrauss likes this.
  7. dstrauss

I've already made my juicy rationalization - I do so much work comparing two documents or drafting one from parts of another that two Word screens will be a boon in mobile productivity; or when in Lexis taking notes in OneNote in the other half - BRING IT ON PANOS - even better if September!

nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  8. dstrauss

Having set up the Tab A 8 (P205) today, I have to say I am even more intrigued by the Duo. Although not as polished and cohesive as the iOS versions, I have had no problem with loading the MS app suite (OneNote, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive, Lens) and all my media connectors (YouTube TV, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime Video) and it is running very well. I can see where tweaking these for Duo will give MS a very powerful enterprise alternative to the iPhone.

Now to find a PDF reader/annotator

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    djas likes this.
  9. djas

djas Graffiti User

@dstrauss : Welcome to my Moleskine world....:)

PDF Annotator = Write on PDF

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Soo, I think I've found my two device portable solution. My Galaxy Note 3 is no longer a viable device, lots of apps no longer runs, or are laggy and slow as a sloth caught in molasses. So what should it be? Galaxy Fold? Galaxy Note 10+?

Nope and nope. The solution is no phone. I never make phone calls anymore, nor do I receive them. People LINE me these days, and so do I. Most of the time I'm moving my SIM card to an old Windows phone because Docomo locks down their AP so I can't tether to the GN. I hate all the proprietary sh!t that Japanese operators do to their phones and refuse to be part of it. So from now on it is an old rickety Windows phone that is used as a router, nothing else. Together with my iPad Pro and Surface Go. Yes, they are showing their age, but they still do anything and everything I need.

The truth is, I've used my phone so little these last few years that I don't even notice if I forget to bring it with me. Mainly it is used for secondary security when logging on to public Wi-Fi through my Google account. Why spend some $1200 to do only that?

Am I braking new ground here? I sincerely doubt it. Phone attachment is a real thing. Young couples around me spend more time staring into their screens than talking to each other. It's an addiction, and we all know how hard it is to break those. It is going to be an interesting journey and maybe I'll hate myself when the Duo and Neo are released. And that is the best thing about being a girl, no one questions it when we suddenly change our minds.