Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

S Note mostly, which at end of day I uploaded to OneDrive as a pdf. Also, OneNote and Nebo as needed.

Just a generic case I found at a phone shop although I use it case-less while at work. It fits into business suits or trousers.

Bishop likes this.
  2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nooooo! Don't tell me you got one already, Dale?
    As much as it's great in terms of the size and Spend, let me warn you beforehand about the weak processor. It is mid-level to low, so some apps will take much longer time to load. It's sometimes annoying, and makes me wonder why Samsung didn't just bring the device up to scale with a more powerful chip.
    Still it's a very handy device and I'm still good I got the P205 version which is LTE.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  3. lafester

lafester Scribbler - Standard Member

Waking it up is the worst, otherwise I don't find it terribly slow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Bishop and nnthemperor like this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly my point.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Yep - on my way from Amazon thanks to @Bishop 's golden salesman touch. Dale "Tim Taylor" Strauss is going to try hard to suppress the Tool Man as much as possible and treat this as if it were a writing tablet for a non-touch screen device. What I CRAVE more than speed is a digital moleskine with a great pen - nothing more, nothing less. However, the comments about slow to wake up have me worried as I need "fast-on" for note taking at my desk and in meetings.

Surprisingly, I have found the Wacom Bamboo Ink the best alternative for my x360, but still not "pen on paper" by any means. I guess it is impossible to design a S-Pen nib for an AES/N-Trig device - will Microsoft and others NEVER understand its not activation force that is teh problem, but the NIB!

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. djas

djas Graffiti User

That's what this GTA8SP is. IMO, it is not slow either.

Bishop and dstrauss like this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not a fold fan by any means but that review is over the top brutal. And he takes pot shots that aren't even really applicable such as the choice for a 4:3 ratio for the inner display was just copying the iPad.

Well, no, many find that aspect ratio ideal in a device in that size range. If anything the iPad might be just acknowledging that.

The article is ultimately a hit piece designed to get clicks, but they missed the window to get maximum effect by publishing now instead of three months ago when it actually started shipping.

Regardless, it doesn't advance the conversation at all on what I think is fundamentally a good idea with foldable displays.

BTW: This is based solely on what I know about portable displays , but I suspect part of the choice for a design closer to square might have practical physics based reasons such as it's less likely to experience a damaging twist in a square shape than a more rectangular one.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    nnthemperor likes this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, it's a little disappointing. In general Ron Amadeo is a bit too negative for my taste, with more of an agenda to push than other writers on that site. I do agree with his assessment that a phone that is a bit tricky to open should have a very capable outer display. Clearly the Galaxy Fold failed in that aspect.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This editorial - and yes, it is not a review but an editorial hatchet job - is unbecoming of ArsTechnica. Witness this quote:

"From Samsung's perspective, I understand the desire for an iPad-like aspect ratio on the interior display. After all, the Samsungiest answer to "What shape should our foldable tablet/phone be?" is, of course, "Let's copy the closest Apple product—the iPad—and work backwards from there!" An easy way to arrive at the Galaxy Fold design is to shrink down an iPad, chop off the bezels, and fold it in half. This doesn't give much thought to how the front would work out, though."

Reads like something you'd find at an Apple fan site...he had one valid point - the small eternal screen, but he hammered and re-hammered it for countless paragraphs of his "review" - in the legal world, that is sneeringly referred as "riding" the dead horse.

And this guy is the "Reviews Editor" for ArsTechnica - sad thought...Samsung in many ways wiffed on the Galaxy Fold because it WAS/IS ahead of its time - for example Motorola's solution for the hinge:

But somebody had to go first...thank you Samsung for daring to lead the way...

PS - At least for a couple of more years I have to believe the MS solution of just giving us a hinge between two flat glass screens is the solution...of course until Phil Schiller proclaims once again "Can't innovate, my ass!" for his copy/modification of all of this preliminary work by Samsung, Motorola, Lenovo and others...

JoeS and Bronsky like this.