Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...For example if you had a group of 200 pixels..., the software can make the determination that the values from the two varying pixels are probably rogue values and normalizes them to the value of the surrounding pixels...>>

A good example, but a better example might be a 200 pixel bin where the RGB values of all 200 pixels vary more broadly in some way. Now, picking the "correct" RGB values can be problematic. Repeat this for every pixel bin across the entire image and it's easy to see how the results might be excellent or awful depending upon the sophistication of the processing software!

dstrauss likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another very good point, the problem becomes trying for at least a bit of brevity in my posts:)

To give yet another relevant example, the new iPhone 11 and the last couple of Pixel phones are being lauded for their night shots. And the pictures they produce can be truly amazing and very pleasing, however I've seen some that are in no way accurate, if by accurate you mean true to the original light values present in the scene e.g large areas of inky blacks with bright highlights from some lamps in the outer edges in the frame.

One "solution" that DSLR's offer is a raw mode that lets you bypass the cameras processing (mostly) but it's not intuitive or easy to work with. Plus I'm not sure the average person knows or cares about accurate versus pleasing.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Plus I'm not sure the average person knows or cares about accurate versus pleasing...>>

You can say that again! As a life-long photographer, I've watched photos go from painstaking efforts to capture accurate images to the abominations of PhotoShop. A couple of years ago, we had a local photographer take a family portrait for us; the resulting images had obviously been highly sharpened in PS and the resulting prints looked so "etched" that I actually found them painful to look at! I'm sure the average consumer would have been pleased with this sort of result, but I couldn't stand it.

Sorry to veer off topic; back to your program in progress...

bloodycape, dstrauss and Tams like this.
  4. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey, at least point to the granddaddy of smartphone pixel binning and good digital zoom (remember, you can either use one or the other at a time, unless, well you have say 108MP and mix and match), that also due to a DSP didn't have a slow as molasses camera.

And yes, I am still incredibly bitter about what Microsoft did to Nokia, although Nokia hardly helped themselves.

5. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

The only thing wrong with that is I DIDN'T THINK OF IT. Kudos.

6. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

So the Galaxy lite will be priced at € 630-670 (incl taxes most likely) and the Note will be like 50 bucks cheaper. Considering Samsung phones (usually) drop in price quite a bit within the first few months this seems like a good deal especially if someone wants pen support (/Note).
    Also interesting, just noticed that the S has slightly more ram and probably a slightly more efficient cpu (7 vs 10nm I read somewhere).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  7. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

It's the other way round, the Note Lite is cheaper than the S Lite.

8. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

That's actually not off topic - for many of us our smartphone is our primary camera these days. In fact, the improvements that have been made, given the miniaturization of the optics, has been pretty astounding. Point and shoot cameras are all but gone, and I have surrendered my DSLR (older Nikon) to my iPhone 11 Pro and a Lumix FZ300 for its f2.8 25-600mm for my travel photography (ps - I did not take this video - demo purposes only):

You can't match glass and digital zoom (yet) and I find the Lumix easier on the back than my Nikon with multiple lenses. I know a real photographer like you will grit your teeth at that video (for heavens sake use a tripod) and even daring to compare the Lumix to a real DSLR, but the times are changing for all of us.

JoeS and Steve S like this.
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I absolutely loved my Zeiss lens on the Nokia.