Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

FYI, I've seen people online complain about the fact that last year the new Pixels were heavily discounted almost immediately for Black Friday / "Cyber Monday", so maybe hold on to your money a little longer to see if that happens again this year.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, definitely taking that into account as well.

3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Didn't Google have a hardware event yesterday? Looks like there was nothing to wow the audience.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Pixel 4 and 4xl announced. The phones have a new "radar" type sensor for positioning ad location Looks like a variation on the UWB chip in the iPhone.

They also announced a new Chromebook pixel without pen support . The big takeaway for this crowd is that not only does google appear to be giving up on the tablet form factor but pen support too....

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The main problem is that almost everything but the new Pixel Buds 2 had been leaked in fairly extensive detail before the event... and the Pixel Buds 2 won't be released until the spring anyway. But also it was presented as a super low key event. They spent a lot of time talking about carbon footprint and other things only tangentially related to new hardware.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

This, above all else, is why the Note series is the perfect companion. Intuitive note taking when you need it.
    [​IMG]

Luft, Tams, djas and 5 others like this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Soo, Lisa got her hands on a Samsung Fold.
    Balanced and thorough review at

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The best reviewer in the tech world brings hope that we are only a few years away from these being a reality - thanks Lisa (@MobileTechReview ) and thanks @Kumabjorn

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  9. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

Luft, Tams, nyb72 and 3 others like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Got to play with one if these this morning with the dual screen attachment. On the plus side it's very well built and isn't as bulky or as heavy as you would think given the dual screens. OTOH LG track record with support both in software and hardware is pretty poor.

Chrome and Outlook does work across both screens but that was about all I found that did in the 30 minutes or so I had with it. I also am not a fan of LG Android skin.

The price though is attractive especially with the deals that carriers like AT&T are offering where you get the phone for free if you open service or add a new line.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/30/20939655/lg-g8x-thinq-dual-screen-review