Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

And those plastic backs often came off for spare batteries...

Tams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  2. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

Stop! You're just going to make me pine for what could have been.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

From now on this shall be my motto when i go outdoors without a bra.
    Going caseless, don't want the design of these puppies to look scarier than they are.

hiramkey, Bronsky, desertlap and 2 others like this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Kumabjorn , I'm not sure how upgrades fit in to your views here.....:D

But FYI, PSA unless you are either already on the beta, or just like dealing with buggy software (especially on the iPad) and/or waiting long periods for an update to install while you cant use your device, you might want to hold off on updating to IOS 13 until apple releases 13.1 which is set for the 24th (next week).

I know my company is holding off and we are advising our customers to do the same.

dstrauss and Kumabjorn like this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So it looks like Samsung is trying again with the Fold.

I have to wonder if at least in part it's an ego thing with Samsung, to at least have something that its clearly different from Apple especially but also the broader market. Or maybe it's an attempt build an "aspirational" device.

Regardless I certainly wont be buying in and I cant think of anyone else I know that will be either. That's a marked difference from when they first announced.
    https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/23/samsung-galaxy-fold-official-us-launch-september-27/

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Selling a device with a Warning: "Fragile, handle at your own risk." is hardly encouraging...The Verge

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Exactly, they should just write-off the cost of device, as MS did with the RT, and have a fire sell.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. I really do like its idea....and the form factor as it gets refined could be very very useful. Windows RT was somewhat different because we all knew that would be worthless from the get go.....it had no value and no real future from its inception. The Folding concept however.....that's still got alot of potential. I have little doubt the current Galaxy Fold will be probably be a disaster....but once other vendors start putting our their own and the form factor gets refined....A Galaxy Fold 2 could end up being the sweet spot.

nnthemperor likes this.
  9. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

True, I was thinking about the current state of the device and the Note 7 disaster. At that cost though, my guess is that they made only a few hundreds of the fold.

Sent from my SM-P205 using Tapatalk

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Like my ultimate hope for that form factor.....if they can make it perfectly stable and firm when folded out flat.....and if they can add a pen to that...EMR or AES,.....whatever......that would be an awesome sketching device. Sometimes when I go out....I have my Note 9 phone and ipad Mini 5.....that would stupidly perfect if I could just unfold my phone into a drawing tablet. Like consolidate them into one device without compromise.

Sometimes I go to NYC for drawing events......but sometimes I don't go to ones....like on Saturday morning or mid-day.....because I was planing to go into the City later in the evening for events at Bars or Clubs....(40 Min train ride to home, $23 round trip....no desire to do that roundtrip twice in one day).....but if I stayed in after the drawing event.... I wouldn't want to have my bag of tablets with me if I'm out bar crawling.....even if they have a bag check.....I'd be worrying about it all night. But if it was simple matter of just sketching on my folded out phone....and closeing it.....I'd be good to go for the whole day. Battery and power would be a concern.....but even then.....there would be ways I could charge it up in the city.