Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Case or no case - that issue was FINAL ANSWERED (pardon the pun Regis) when manufacturers went to glass backs. For years I carried my iPhone with only a skin on it to protect from scratches for resale/trade purposes - then EVERYONE migrated to glass (I imagine for antenna purposes as much as manufacturing). Since then a case is MANDATORY - why - because how many times have you bumped your leg into a table, card door, chair back, etc and never given it another thought UNLESS that fragile glass back is facing your pocket?

Likewise, WHY is there so much ohhhing and ahhhing over "magnificent colors" when cases are a necessity to protect your $1000+ investment? Because either you'll leave it nekkid for expensive repairs or pay the freight for the otherwise unnecessary AppleCare+

- how's that for humpday cynicism?

JoeS likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Related to that, and showing my age a bit, I was working for a company that purchased some of the very first 15 inch laptops with a 1080p display. I wont shame the manufacturer, but as we were testing them out we found lots of issues including a 90 minute battery life.

The straw that broke the camel's (or in this case computers) back was I was typing at a desk with one. I had a coffee cup in hand and turned when a co-worker asked me a question. I smacked the screen with my cup as I turned. Not real hard, but enough to make a "thump"

That thump was enough to KO the screen accompanied with a nice electronic sounding pop.

My first thought was that it was a one off occurrence and/or bad luck. One of our engineers wasn't sure and essentially duplicated it with the system in front of her.

So after we KO'ed yet another system the same way, we stopped. We did let the manufacturer know, and that models was quickly pulled for a rework.

Sometimes my job can be unexpectedly entertaining :)

Tams and JoeS like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

And by KO'd you mean 'cracked the screen into a billion pieces'?

4. desertlap

No the screen looked physically ok. We think that it was actually the backlight that failed. The company in addition to introducing new screen tech, tried to make it quite thin and light (for the time) and I guess they went a bit too far.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah that's bad. I recall there was a generation of Toshiba Portege ultrabooks where the screen could crack just from having pressure on the device while in your bag. Scary stuff. Anyway, back to the perfect mobile companion for tablet enthusiasts. I'm ready for Microsoft's Go2 (go-to) device!

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

At least for the Note 5, the glass back is pure decoration. It sits atop a metal frame. When removed, you do not have access to the phone's internals. They are easy to replace. I used my Note 5 for 2 years with a vue case and 2 without. No question the case was better. The phone stayed pristine in the case. Since then, I've replaced 2 backs and there are currently cracks in the 3rd. But, I prefer the phone without a case. So, I'll have to spend a few bucks per month for replacement insurance.

By the way, Verizon just dropped the price of the note 10+ by $200.

7. desertlap

Cool, not yet on AT&T though, which is what all of our office is on:(

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I have a coworker that...always goes caseless. She think it hides the design and makes it bigger and heavier than it should be...>>

...I have a similar feeling about cases. Most of them add a significant amount of bulk to your otherwise svelte phone...!

<<...But, I prefer the phone without a case...>>

...Having said that, however, I use a Speck case on my Note 9 and I have to admit that the texturing of the case makes it almost impossible to drop the phone. and it's pretty attractive, too...

9. desertlap

I've always gone with a case since the iPhone 4 which was a beautiful but very slippery device. That being said, it's always a good idea to revisit things like that e.g just because you've always done something doesn't mean you should continue doing it.

OTOH, The latest iphones aren't all that pretty (the camera hump is really ugly in person) so that kills the "show off my pretty phone idea"

Yet on the third hand, the new note 10's with their aura glow finish really do look great without a case.

As I like to drive my guys crazy at times when they want me to settle an argument , I like to say I feel strongly both ways :p

nnthemperor, Steve S and JoeS like this.
  10. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

I wish we could go back to plastic backs. You can get some very good plastics. They are good at letting radio waves through, are relatively easy to colour, lightweight, and are more durable. You can even get them to sparkle a bit as Sony did with some of the compact Z series phones (by mixing in a bit of glass I believe). Sigh. I sort of miss the old days of Nokia being king (and Sony Ericsson).

JoeS, dstrauss and DRTigerlilly like this.