Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I should probably stay away from the Samsung display at our local BB. I have absolutely fallen in love with the size of the new Note 10. Not the 10+ mind you but the Note 10. The obvious problem is that it is not 5G. As I understand it, the current Note 10+ uses the X50 modem and the new 5G Note 10 phones for AT&T and T-Mobile will be using the X55 modem. What do you think the chances are that Verizon eventually has a Note 10 with the X55 modem and 5G?

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think it will be a while before we see a Note 10 size device with 5g - there is just so much heat dissipation problem with these early 5g modems I hear they are more hand warmers than phones. Like you, I found the Note 10 size to be near perfect - only a few mm larger than my iPhone X but with an even larger screen...

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agreed.
    the X55 is a step in the right direction, but only a step. No one (yet) has solved the multiple antenna issues, so the carriers currently are facing a choice of what 5G they are supporting in their phones. e.g. a MM wave antenna (which is the speed option) currently cant coexist with a "sub 6" aka low band antenna.
    Not to mention that at least for a few years they are still going to need to build in seperate LTE and 3g in to most consumer phones as well.

TLDR phones are at best going to get bigger in the near term and the near universality of current LTE phones is going to disappear.

And PS: Every time I go in to an area and the "5GE" indicator comes on my iPhone I want to throw it. It's such a basic lie. They talk about improved backhaul which is required for 5G but is meaningless right now as with LTE the absolute limiting factor is LTE itself. What's doubly bad is they pulled the same stunt with early LTE when they used a 4GE indicator when it was just 3G

It's crap like this that further erodes the trust of the public in tech.

dellaster and JoeS like this.
  4. dstrauss

If this man's lips are moving, he's lying AND stealing your wallet out of your back pocket with the other hand...

[​IMG]

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. desertlap

Well the reviews of the new iphones are coming out today. The review on the verge delves deep in to the photography but also shows that the reviewer doesn't know nearly as much about photography as he thinks he does.

For instance several of the photos he claims are "sharper" are in reality better controlled in contrast and tonality.

It reminds me of when I was taking photo classes in college and we had several Time Life photographers come speak to the class. I wish I could remember who actually said it, but the quote always stuck with me. "I endeavor to capture shots that are faithful to what I saw and made me take the shot. That is not always the same thing as accurate".

To that point, the greatest AI is the human brain and producing that shot that is faithful to what they saw is what the greatest (Ansel Adams being my favorite) achieved.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/...mera-battery-life-screen-midnight-green-price

Bronsky likes this.
  6. dstrauss

I knew you were a genius - recognizing Ansel Adams as the best proves it. Before I die, I just ONCE want to capture a sunrise or sunset the recreates what I am seeing...

One thing that is coming through most of the reviews is that the battery life increase is for real.

Bronsky likes this.
  7. desertlap

Well you obviously haven't talked to my wife and/or watched me attempt to assemble Ikea furniture as I did on Sunday :Do_O

hiramkey and nnthemperor like this.
  8. desertlap

So as I have been perusing the iPhone reviews and a few Apple forums, I've noticed that the caseless contingent is growing substantially this release. Including likely my daughter.

The argument is thus; The primary purpose of case is physical protection against drops and scratches and secondarily a less slippery grip.

Since the new phones have a matte finish which aids substantially in the grip from the few times I've held them (as well as hiding small scratches), coupled with the huge camera hump wont be protected regardless a case seems more a nice to have than essential this round. Not sure I agree, and that discounts drop protection, but interesting regardless.

I'm still trying very hard to resist buying one for now. But the reveiws this morning haven't made it any easier. I can hold at least long enough for my wife and daughter get theirs but I think at that point I'll probably succumb. :eek:

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Resistance is futile! :D As for case or no case, for me unless I have AppleCare I use a case. Lesson learned after I took a nigh-indestructible Lumia 920, and managed to crack the screen by dropping it in a carpeted room, but - in an effort to catch it - slapping it with a perfect forehand onto the corner of my speaker stand. I'm Murphy's law personified. :)

hiramkey, dellaster, dstrauss and 5 others like this.
  10. desertlap

Yes it kind of gave me a chuckle in that i was reminded of how circular tech can be. During the early days hwen the phones were so big they needed holster type carriers and they got smaller and thinner and with the Razr you could put them in you pocket and thus didnt need a case.

Then smart phones started getting ever bgger and more fragile and cases were a requirement again. And now possibly we are headed away from cases again.

I have a coworker that has always been an iphone advocate and always goes caseless. She think it hides the design and makes it bigger and heavier than it should be.

Not sure I agree, but given you cant practically cover the camera bump, the case becomes questionable again.

Edit: fixed typos, working on a custom device this morning and the keyboard is driving me nuts.... :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019