Best Smartphone Companion for Surface Devices

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Jun 23, 2016.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

:rolleyes: Freddy is gonna get his claws on you.

The 11 is up for pre-registration here in Singapore:

https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/mobile/phones

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

djas likes this.
  3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

What about 9? Still worth upgrading/not worth saving $300 on an N9?

nnthemperor likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't have a lot of experience with the note 9 personally. And none of our employees has made the leap yet.

From what I know, I think the situation is similar to those with the iPhone XS where the camera is the key change but it's other wise a very similar phone.

In the case of the note 9 , I could see two somewhat niche reasons for upgrading.

One is the increased functionality of the s-pen specifically the wireless features and gestures. I did a presentation Monday with just the note 10+ a HDMI cable and a large TV. I used the remote slide advance functionality of the s-pen as part of that. Which garnered several "that's cool" comments

The second case would be people who really push their phone to the limit in general, The new processor, but more importantly, the additional RAM and faster storage; in those kind of edge cases makes a noticeable impact on performance.

That's my $.02 anyway. I'm still debating upgrading my XS max to the 11 pro.

djas likes this.
  5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

Note 10 also has a better zoom lens too, and better battery life in the Plus model.

desertlap likes this.
  6. djas

djas Graffiti User

Yep. That's one of the reasons we use SPen capabled devices in our workplace. We use Miracast instead of cable but the usage is similar. Unlike other Android devices that use Cast, Samsung implementation use the open Wi-Di protocol therefore our PCs and laptops can cast wirelessly too without connecting to a wifi network. imo, the best ROI we ever made.

In that vein, we regretted the death of Windows phones. Wirelessly casting Continuum to a large screen for presentations is so smooth back then. <sigh>

7. desertlap

Yes forgot about that. For that matter I could see a few upgrading for the different size option as well.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So, is it fair to say the consensus is that the N9->N10 upgrade has the same merits as the N8->N10? (A corollary: if you want to save money but have basic sPen on a phone, better to buy a used N8 for, like, $350 than an N9 for $500-$600? Of course, each year has incremental improvement, but I'm getting the sense from recent posts that the big jump was N9->N10.)

9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

I think the Note 9 would be a better buy than the Note 8 solely for the larger battery and have a few extra months of updates doesn't hurt either.

10. desertlap

Not sure where to post this question, but this seems to be the closest.
    We have a customer that uses Lenovo as their primary PC vendor and they are looking at purchasing some Moto Z4 phones.

I have read that you can use Microsoft compatible pens with it including the surface pens. Since many in this forum are more hardcore pen users than me, I was looking for some feedback from anyone that's used the Z4 with a pen and the quality of the experience.

Thanks in advance :)